Water Glassing: Egg Preservation Experiment!

I think minor chastisements could be made in a private message.
Thought about it, but it's a public issue...will do so in the future, because one post didn't seem to get the message across.
The end result here is two pages of unrelated-chatter due to the initial chastisement.
...and had planned on having most this chatter removed.

After watching a video on Water Glassing earlier this year, I decided that I would like to try and preserve my eggs for winter using this method! I plan on pulling an egg out each month to see how well they are holding up! I'm super excited about seeing the results from this process...my husband...not so much...:gig

I will eventually add all of the information of my experiment into an article!

I purchased a 1 gallon glass jar with a lid. I am using Mrs. Wages: Pickling Lime (Calcium Hydroxide) and also some Olive oil as suggested in the video to help keep the water from evaporating! One thing that I think I did wrong from the start was that I didn't get the lime mixed as thoroughly as I should have, so I've been going in and gently spinning the jar left, right, left, right...I will continue to do this until it's fully dissolved!

So the tools & steps I used:
A 1 gallon Jar with lid...glass or plastic works fine
1 oz. Calcium Hydroxide (Lime) (Make sure you use only Calcium Hydroxide with no other additives)
1 quart cool water
40 eggs per gallon seemed to be a good fit
Olive oil

Thoroughly mix your Lime into the quart of water (1oz lime to 1 quart of water is the ratio)(do not do as I did :D ). I already had my eggs in the container (I wanted to have as many as it would hold and decided I would pour the lime mixture over the top...one quart was perfect in my container), but you can mix in the jar and add the eggs after, which is what I will do next time since I now know I can fit in 40 eggs to 1 quart! I then poured some olive oil on top and covered with the lid!

Day 1
I have it sitting on my laundry room counter at the moment...once the Lime is better dissolved I will place it in my storeroom in the basement! It's cooler and has less daylight!
View attachment 2408989

Thank you so much for this thread. I watched that same video and bought all the supplies a couple of months ago but I've been too chicken (lol) to try it. You've given me the courage to give it a go, and I have a nice little surplus of eggs right now so today's going to be the day!

Over the past couple of weeks I have preserved a dozen eggs this way. What I really like about it is I can open the jar and add (or remove) eggs at any time and just keep on with the preserving. Whenever I have a surprlus of eggs, I simply start putting them in the preservation jar instead of the fridge or counter.

We have a very cool, dark, storage area where I can keep them. What I really need, though, is some good jars that are large enough for a dozen eggs or so. I think a 5 gallon bucket would be overkill, I'd never have that many surplus eggs.

After watching a video on Water Glassing earlier this year, I decided that I would like to try and preserve my eggs for winter using this method! I plan on pulling an egg out each month to see how well they are holding up! I'm super excited about seeing the results from this process...my husband...not so much...:gig

I will eventually add all of the information of my experiment into an article!

I purchased a 1 gallon glass jar with a lid. I am using Mrs. Wages: Pickling Lime (Calcium Hydroxide) and also some Olive oil as suggested in the video to help keep the water from evaporating! One thing that I think I did wrong from the start was that I didn't get the lime mixed as thoroughly as I should have, so I've been going in and gently spinning the jar left, right, left, right...I will continue to do this until it's fully dissolved!

So the tools & steps I used:
A 1 gallon Jar with lid...glass or plastic works fine
1 oz. Calcium Hydroxide (Lime) (Make sure you use only Calcium Hydroxide with no other additives)
1 quart cool water
40 eggs per gallon seemed to be a good fit
Olive oil

Thoroughly mix your Lime into the quart of water (1oz lime to 1 quart of water is the ratio)(do not do as I did :D ). I already had my eggs in the container (I wanted to have as many as it would hold and decided I would pour the lime mixture over the top...one quart was perfect in my container), but you can mix in the jar and add the eggs after, which is what I will do next time since I now know I can fit in 40 eggs to 1 quart! I then poured some olive oil on top and covered with the lid!

Day 1
I have it sitting on my laundry room counter at the moment...once the Lime is better dissolved I will place it in my storeroom in the basement! It's cooler and has less daylight!
View attachment 2408989

Please keep us informed of the outcome of your experiment. I have seen the same video and I plan to try it in the spring when my quails start laying again. I hope the same goes for quail eggs. Good luck 🤞

Off topic chatting should go somewhere else, so as not to detract from the thread topic.
It's just polite forum etiquette that many don't seem to be aware of so need to be reminded.
Hello. I am very new to the forum. I didn't know about that general rule. How do you put something off thread? I mean, is there a button? Or an other thread that explains how is done? My english isn't good enough. I'm only sure about the post reply and attach. ( I'm not even sure when quote is used )

Hello. I am very new to the forum. I didn't know about that general rule. How do you put something off thread? I mean, is there a button? Or an other thread that explains how is done? My english isn't good enough. I'm only sure about the post reply and attach. ( I'm not even sure when quote is used )
To take a post away, you can click the 'delete' button, if the post is new enough.
1606749050091.png

If it's an older post, you can use the 'report' button and ask a mod to remove it.

"Off topic" means that a comment or several comments are not about the main topic of the thread. So, the majority of posts in this thread are not about water glassing and are about the topic of being "off topic".

I've been on discussion boards since well before the this site and going off topic is a constant in this world. Complaining isn't productive, so just contribute on topic and try not to contribute to the off topic discussion if you don't like it.

Also, this post is "off topic" since it isn't about water glassing.

Over the past couple of weeks I have preserved a dozen eggs this way. What I really like about it is I can open the jar and add (or remove) eggs at any time and just keep on with the preserving. Whenever I have a surprlus of eggs, I simply start putting them in the preservation jar instead of the fridge or counter.

We have a very cool, dark, storage area where I can keep them. What I really need, though, is some good jars that are large enough for a dozen eggs or so. I think a 5 gallon bucket would be overkill, I'd never have that many surplus eggs.
I wonder if an ice cream bucket could work for you. Does anyone know if it has to sit in a certain material, such as glass or tough plastic (5 gal nucket)?
I would also like to try this but have the same issue with containers?

Back
Top Bottom