Water heater

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by viviann, Sep 17, 2019.

1. viviann

viviann Hatching

Sep 17, 2019
    Hi all new here 1st year for chickens looking for the best water heater for the winter we have 4 hens.

2. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    depends on location and temps you have to deal with, the base heaters and pet bowls work if you don't get down below -20 for extended periods, if you live up north where we get -30 to -70 a plastic bucket with a stock tank heater works best with nipples, or youcan do like I do rubber feed dishes and change em out more often , all depends on time you have and what you want to do

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    blackdog043 and rosemarythyme like this.
  3. jreardon1918

jreardon1918 Songster

Jul 13, 2016
    Southeast, MA
    My Coop
    We have a farm innovator 250 watt stock tank de-icer. Keeps a 5 gallon bucket with horizontal nipples liquid all winter. We are in south east Mass.

blackdog043 likes this.
  4. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    rosemarythyme likes this.
  5. archeryrob

archeryrob Songster

Aug 3, 2018
    Western Maryland
    So a small flock we just had a black bowl from TSC and knocked the ice out in the morning and poured hot water in it. Unless its really cold the chickens keep it open. You about break the regular waterers trying to get the ice out.

6. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Songster

Jan 1, 2013
    Heater-Base-and-Fount-685x1024.jpg I live in Michigan, and this water setup has worked great for me through the years.

Vikinglike likes this.
  7. Mosey2003

Mosey2003 Crowing

Apr 13, 2016
    NC IL
    You can buy heated dog dishes or heated 2 gallon buckets. With only 4 hens, I'd go with one of those. Keep the receipt though, they do tend to give up the ghost.

8. ChickenWaterer

ChickenWaterer Songster

Aug 20, 2012
    Palo Alto, CA
    Before you buy a heater, please consider whether you are going to use your heater in an area that is shielded from rain, snow and sunlight or if it's going to be exposed to the environment. Sunlight and extreme temperatures can cause the plastic on standard electrical cords to degrade over time. Once the wire is exposed, it's a safety hazard. Likewise, rain can get into the interior of certain heaters and come into contact with electrical components and create the same safety hazards. For example, "Pie Pan" style heaters like the one Sue Gremlin posted above are only intended to be used indoors. They also need to be used with a galvanized waterer, not a plastic one. Check the manufacturers instructions carefully. The last thing you want is to create a safety hazard. Please be safe!

rosemarythyme likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: