Water inside or out?

Papa1

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2021
i have a small coop with an attached 12' run, after they are no longer chicks, do i keep the water and feed inside the coop or outside in the run? Seems like it would be outside, but I am not certain.

I have water available inside and outside, but food outside only.

edit - I don't think my chooks want to eat or drink during the night and I don't think they can see well enough in the dark even if they wanted too. I have water in my coop because I'm mildly concerned my automatic door won't open one day. I check on them every day, but I do leave early for work and the door doesn't open until after that. I think in the future if my run proves itself to be predator proof I will just leave the door open and therefore the water and food outside.

That was a long edit!

Last edited:
I have a galvanized two gallon waterer inside and a smaller plastic outside in the run that I add ACV to. Food used to be kept outside but I’d keep forgetting to grab it when it rained and I didn’t feel like it kept them from exploring outside so it stays in now.

I used to keep mine inside but they would always make a mess. So water stays outside and at night a small dish of food goes inside in case I wake up late. The water inside, in winter causes moisture.
Good point! Now I’m wondering if mine should stay outside.. it’s just annoying with all the outside gunk that gets in it like leaves and grass and such. But I’m in AL and my winters are probably more like you northern-er’s falls 😜

I have kept food inside in the past, but now I keep both water and food outside.

Elevate the water on blocks to reduce the debris. Hang the food. Both can be about a foot off the ground for standard breeds and they wont be able to scratch in it.

I've kept water & food in the coop for 28 years with no moisture problems. It is up on a 6-8 inch tall crate. My coop is 8 by 8, so I have room. The waterer is the only thing on the floor inside. YMMV

Personally, I like to keep my feed and water in the run out of the 1 year of having chickens it works really well for me.

I have kept food inside in the past, but now I keep both water and food outside.

Elevate the water on blocks to reduce the debris. Hang the food. Both can be about a foot off the ground for standard breeds and they wont be able to scratch in it.
Yes, I agree if you are going to put water on the inside do what that post says.

Back
Top Bottom