Water inside the coop? What do YOU do?

Food and water outside under the coop. My coop isn't big enough for birds and food containers. Plus, the coop stays open to the run, it's too hot here to close them up.

I'm glad this question was asked, I've been wondering too. In my case, the chickens will only be in the actual hen house at night. During the day they will be in the run. Is food and water still necessary in their house? Won't they just be sleeping all night?

My feed and water are kept outside under the covered part of the runs. The birds are let out at daybreak and don't go back in to roost until almost dark. It's just easier and less messy than having it in the coop. They are not going to be eating and drinking in the pitch black dark anyway. In severe weather I do put the water and feed in the coop if I need to. This also encourages them to come on out when the pop door is opened giving me time to scoop the poop.

spring, summer & fall it is all outside. Food is under a cover so it doesn't get wet. Winter time it is inside & outside.

Water in the coop ALWAYS. And their feed inside the coop. I also feed treats outside the coop...

winter: food and water inside coop, block flock in the run in winter as treat/entertainment. Spring and fall: water inside coop and run, feed inside coop. Summer: water everywhere - coop, run, yard in 2-3 places and feed in coop and small amount in a bowl in dry spot in the yard. I usually don't have leftovers of feed outside in the afternoon and the girls hang out mostly in the yard when it is hot

I have water and food in the coop, in the original small run, and in the large additional temporary run we set up. I mostly have so much everywhere because my chickens (10) are only a couple months old and we recently acquired 4 that are 1-2 years old and they have a tendency to chase the little ones off the feed so I spread 'em out. I only give treats outside in the run. (On a side note, one of our little ones survived a 'coon attack (lost 2) and prefers eating in the coop during the day when everyone else is out.) We also get bad thunderstorms in the afternoons a lot so I don't want to have to worry about whether or not they have water and food in the coop...and those mornings I don't make it out there to let them out as early as they'd like...
roll.png

we have rodents so i feed and water outside the coop (completely covered run so no wet feed). it's a constant battle where we live - we're in the rainy pacific northwest so there's almost always a water source nearby and wild blackberry bushes push right up against our back fence... too easy for the little gross vermin to survive out there! anyway, i have to deal with them outside - but no way i want them going inside my girls' coop. the ONLY exception is when it gets hot and i put a small waterer in the coop for them to get their drink on in the morning before i let them out (they're always up before me, clucking to come out).

Back
Top Bottom