Water intake & food — New Owner

FalseToast

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
Southern Ontario
Hello! Recently, as in the day this has been posted, I’ve picked up three Brown Chinese Geese goslings—two are 4 weeks; one is 2 weeks old. I’ve wanted this breed since I was a child visiting a zoo for the first time. Despite my knowledge on chickens, waterfowl I lack in experience! Thus, any little thing concerns me so easily.

I understand waterfowl drink quite a lot of water; roughly half a gallon a day! The goslings I’ve just picked up seem so eager to drink and have done so, so much that their poop has gone clear! Slowly, they’ve come around to eating; however, I just want to know if this is normal behaviour? The food I’ve picked up for them is duck starter which I was recommended.

BIG difference between chickens and waterfowl is that you cannot give them feed without also giving them water, or they can choke. They need the water to properly process the feed. I'm a newbie to both chickens and waterfowl, but this has been consistent advice from every source! So far I have found that they need multiple containers for their water, or you will need to clean the container multiple times a day. I have ducks and 1 goose, and any container becomes a pond to them! Also look for water containers that are not easily tipped, because they will spill it while getting in for a bath.

Back
Top Bottom