Water Nipples Question

drstratton

Enabler
Mar 15, 2020
Eastern WA - USA
My Coop
My Coop
I only recently started using nipple water for my flock, and have no experience with starting chicks on them, but all it took for my flock was putting them in front of the waterer and tapping the nipple a few times to water came out. Good luck!

I only recently started using nipple water for my flock, and have no experience with starting chicks on them, but all it took for my flock was putting them in front of the waterer and tapping the nipple a few times to water came out. Good luck!
Thank you! I'm hoping that works, I'm hoping to avoid an open water container!

I never put chicks on nipplea before. I use a simple chick waterer from TSC for the first two weeks. My thinking is they need easy acces to water, not have to think about how to get it. Chicks got enough going on their first few weeks just to survive. I wouldnt want dehydration simply because they are too young to figure it out.

Easiest way ive found once birds are older is to tap the water nipple, let it drip and teach them using their natural curiosity.

I never put chicks on nipplea before. I use a simple chick waterer from TSC for the first two weeks. My thinking is they need easy acces to water, not have to think about how to get it. Chicks got enough going on their first few weeks just to survive. I wouldnt want dehydration simply because they are too young to figure it out.

Easiest way ive found once birds are older is to tap the water nipple, let it drip and teach them using their natural curiosity.
I plan on having a chick water container to start with, but I'm hoping to introduce the nipples after they have settled in! I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize their well being! :) I've had chickens on and off for probably 25 years, but I've never used water nipples. I saw someone had them in their brooder setup and wanted to know if anyone here had experience using them with chicks, before I tried it. At this point I think I will have both types available and if they learn to use the nipples only then would I remove the water bottle! Thanks so much for your advice! :)

Back
Top Bottom