Water spilled overnight/ half my chicks dying!

Just as a random point: the waterer doesnt have to be level. It's supposed to be level, but if you cant manage level, put the part that lets the water into the tray on the downhill side. it wont fill full depth all the way around, but it wont just drain out.

I am very sorry! They need to be warm and fluffy again. Keep them under heat. For my chicks first few days I give water in a plastic jar lid. Can you dry a few with a towel and the lightest blow dry setting?

Glad you found and saved the baby! You sound so calm! A heat pad and heat lamp are what I'd use asap. Lots of people use blow dryers on older Chickens. I don't think I even have one LOL.

Thanks all for your advice! I only lost one, and the rest seem to be doing ok. I set up a second brooder for them to recover better. I probably should have split them up in the first place, as I have about 35 babies.

they didn’t tip the water over, I think either the jar wasn’t level, or too many shavings fell into it so the water just slowly spilled out by capillary action.i used a quail specific waterer, like this one below. And of course I put a mostly full jar on top.

now I’ve got paper towels down instead of shavings and the waterers are only partially full.

View attachment 2433025
This kind of waterer would not work after the first week for my bold Barred Rock and sweet Jersey Giants who like to hop/fly to perch on everything. Anything tall would tip the first hour. Sturdy shallow ceramic dishes worked best for us...ramekins a great idea. They still love the tiny dishes as snack bowls placed around the run to reduce competition for the main feeders.

Glad you found and saved the baby! You sound so calm! A heat pad and heat lamp are what I'd use asap. Lots of people use blow dryers on older Chickens. I don't think I even have one LOL.
Hi! This is not my video. :) But I agree the lady sounds very calm and she helped the chick very well! When I bathe my chickens I use a blow dryer to half dry them.

I got up this morning to check on my day old baby quail chicks and 1/2 of them were cold and dying! The water somehow spilled into the whole tote I have them in! I moved them all back into the incubator, looks like it’s helping but I’m pretty sure I lost at least 2. How can I prevent this from happening again? I had them on shavings, and just changed to paper towels.View attachment 2432969
I wish I would have read this sooner so if some of them were even barely alive you could save them by heating pads and a blow dryer and they would have perked right back up and survived I've done it many times honey I'm so sorry for your loss God bless you

Back
Top Bottom