waterer options for tiny coops?

Quote:
Where's your local feed store?
I am in the twin cities, too, and looking for something to make winter watering easier...

I am currently using a qt mason jar. last time I was in fleet farm, I saw a 3 qt calf bottle that had a mason jar neck on it, so it fits the waterer.

It was cheep- like $5 for the two pieces. the bottle is like 4"x4"x24" long.

I reckon I could fasten it to the wall, but I need to figure out how to keep it thawed before I buy one.

next summer I will just get a float bowl for the garden hose outside. that will take care of the dog and birds.

Hi Mo - Don't know where you are in the Cities - I'm in the SW suburbs...

I found heated dishes at the following places:
PetStuff in Glen Lake/Minnetonka - owner is awesome and so helpful
Hennepin Co. Co-op in Maple Lake - small ones were plastic, large ones were plastic or stainless. They also had large heaters that could go under a large (3-5 gallon or larger) waterer.
Fleet Farm - where I bought mine. Go to the back of the store by the chicken feed and pine shavings. They are against the back wall.

What I bought was a 1 quart stainless bowl with a plastic heating element/cord built into the base. It has a long, thick and wire wrapped cord that plugs into the wall. It came with a "ring" that you can nail to the wall (it's meant to hang on a cage) and then slip the bowl into it, resting on the lip of the bowl, to keep it off the ground. This size would probably be too small for most folks, but I only have 4 girls and like to freshen the water every morning, so it works great for me.

As far as your calf waterer, I'm not sure how you're going to keep something thawed without electricity. I am having a tough time keeping my small flock warm even tho my coop is well isulated... I haven't turned on their heat light yet, but am already stressing over it as the snow blows and temps keep dropping....

PM me if you have any other questions - I'll do what I can.

Quail could probably learn to use it...

I am probably giving the wrong picture when I say "rabbit" waterer - it isn't a cylindrical container with a spout/ball on the end, like what a hamster would use. What I bought was a bowl. Heater is in the base so the water stays thawed. Works great.

Quote:
The down side to a hanging waterer is it still gets spilt when they bump into it. Try putting it on a cement block or put it on a platfrm

thanks- I am in so mpls, and have looked at fleet farm's stuff- just was looking for other options, too.

basically like a heated dog bowl- that is one option I've considered.

I only have 3 birds, so far.

I can run power to them, and will have to to keep them in water for the winter. but I want something that draws as little power as possible

Ha, it's not really a double post if I give the same answer in two different active threads, is it?
tongue.png
To wit:

Try using a 1 gallon plastic waterer, up on a tall block(s) atop a plywood platform as mentioned in another recent thread in order to prevent litter and poo getting kicked into it, and put it in a CORNER where it cannot be knocked over, and do some sort of anti-roost measure atop it (a variety of easy options exist).

With four chickens I'd suggest that's your best option.

For completeness though I will show you my compact very small homemade waterer I was using in my tractor last summer, not as the main waterer (that was outdoors) but just so my 2 ISA Browns did not get too thirsty if I let them out a bit late:

waterer004.jpg

It's vacuum-style; to refill it, I dismount the whole unit from the wall (attached by bayonet-style mount involving screw, and rests on a block for further support), take it out of the tractor, turn it upside down (yeah, some water spills out) then dump and refill the bottle, reinsert into rubber band, and turn back upside down again and replace into tractor.

This is really too small for 4 chickens though (in principle it could be sized up, but I can't think offhand of what materials you'd use so scrounging just the right things could be a real problem). Seriously, I cannot see why a properly-raised non-roost-on-able 1 gal waterer in the corner should not be quite satisfactory.

Good luck,

Pat
Hello! I love your small diy waterer. What did you use for the bottom of it? (The brown part!) thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom