Waterer under nest box too distracting??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 4myHennyPenny, Jun 14, 2007.

1. 4myHennyPenny

4myHennyPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Colorado
    Not sure where to post this: coop design, feeding?... so stuck it in general

To maximize space and ease of access in our coop, I was considering hanging our waterer beneath the nest box. Will this be too distracting for my hens? Or is it really no more distracting than all of the other hubbub going on in the coop?

(BTW, nest box will be built so that the front ledge extends past the edge of the waterer below.)

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    should be no problem...

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    4MyHennyPenny, that should work just fine. Chickens taking a drink is no big deal and should not distract the hens at all. Good Luck.

bigzio

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    The only problem I see is that as hens come out of the nest box some of the bedding could drop into the waterer. If this happened enough it would foul (fowl?) the water. It's sure worth a try, it may not be a problem at all!

5. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Becky is right...that could be a problem if the overhang isn't enough.

6. 4myHennyPenny

4myHennyPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Colorado
    Good point. I was going to make sure that the ledge on the nest box extended at least a couple of inches beyond the edge of the waterer, but maybe it should even be 1 to 2" more than that (i.e. 3-4" beyond edge of waterer)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by