Votes: 11 14.1%
  • The Nipple Type Waterers

Votes: 30 38.5%

• Total voters
Pics

Jaeden Mckinley

Songster
Apr 2, 2022
Hey Everyone, this is a question I have been wanting to ask since I got chickens. What is the best way to get nice clean water to my flock every day without having to clean the water because the chickens kick dirt and dust into it?

The Plan
The plan was to buy some 10-15 gallon rubber tubs and rinse and fill them every day. Will they be a nice investment, or should I invest in the nipple waterers? I heard they were also very nice for clean water but I don't know what would be the better investment. My other option was to ask my parents for a chicken waterer for Christmas, I don't have any other options.

-Thanks to everyone who has answered and helped me throughout this year. I want to thank
Sumi for having many great posts and articles, fly high.

-Jaeden

I would invest in a galvanized waterer, at least 3-5 gallon., I have used dog dishes, converted pails to waterers, but at the end of the day id wish id just go with double wall galvanized water founts. Place it a few inches off the ground and you don't have an issues with stray bedding. I purchased heated bases for them this winter an I love them.

For cleanliness, the nipple waterers are the way to go, imo. I have a bucket with 4 vertical water nipples in it, and the inside of that bucket is spotless 2 years later. I just refill it every 2 weeks.

I also have a high capacity plastic waterer and two 2.5 gallon buckets. I have to change the buckets daily and the high capacity waterer 1x/2x per week.

Last edited:
Hello! First time chicken owner here as well. So I can't really say from any experience. But I've done my research, and have found this waterer that I'm planning on using this winter. It has nipples, so there's no way of the chickens kicking dirt, dust, debris, or getting chicken poop in the water. And it's heated, so it won't freeze. The only issue being that you'll need electricity out there to plug it in. You'll need it though, otherwise the water will freeze, regardless of what type of waterer you end up using. If the water freezes in the nipples, it can damage the nipple causing leaks. And to me... A leaky waterer, is a useless waterer.
Screenshot_20221103-110322_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221103-110322_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221103-110322_Samsung Internet.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 11
For cleanliness, the nipple waterers are the way to go, imo. I have a bucket with 4 vertical water nipples in it, and the inside of that bucket is spotless 2 years later. I just refill it every 2 weeks.

I also have a high capacity plastic waterer and two 2.5 gallon buckets. I have to change the buckets daily and the high capacity waterer 1x/2x per week.
This morning my dad brought me to our local Runnings and we bought the farm innovators' Heated 2-gallon nipple waterer, The best part is I have silkies so I don't have to worry about the size of the waterer. Is it easy for the chickens to drink out of, how do they learn that's where the water comes from? Thanks for helping me.
1670008175358.png

This morning my dad brought me to our local Runnings and we bought the farm innovators' Heated 2-gallon nipple waterer, The best part is I have silkies so I don't have to worry about the size of the waterer. Is it easy for the chickens to drink out of, how do they learn that's where the water comes from? Thanks for helping me. View attachment 3339179
you can make your own for much cheaper.

buy a 5-7 gallon bucket along with a pack of horizontal nipples.

drill holes, insert nipples, then drill small holes near the top of the bucket to prevent a vacuum seal. done and done.

if you live where it gets cold, then in the winter, you can drop a deicer in the bucket to keep the water from freezing.

5-7 gallons of water vs 2 gallons means you have to refill the bucket much less frequently.

Hello! First time chicken owner here as well. So I can't really say from any experience. But I've done my research, and have found this waterer that I'm planning on using this winter. It has nipples, so there's no way of the chickens kicking dirt, dust, debris, or getting chicken poop in the water. And it's heated, so it won't freeze. The only issue being that you'll need electricity out there to plug it in. You'll need it though, otherwise the water will freeze, regardless of what type of waterer you end up using. If the water freezes in the nipples, it can damage the nipple causing leaks. And to me... A leaky waterer, is a useless waterer.
This morning, my dad and I bought that exact waterer from our local farm store. The only problem was that the cord was pretty short. but my dad had an extension cord laying around so I used that to plug it in.

drill holes, insert nipples, then drill small holes near the top of the bucket to prevent a vacuum seal. done and done.

if you live where it gets cold, then in the winter, you can drop a deicer in the bucket to keep the water from freezing.

5-7 gallons of water vs 2 gallons means you have to refill the bucket much less frequently.
Hey DickMidnight, That sounds like an idea I should try to run past my dad and see what he says. He is pretty handy with whatever tools we have laying around. I did some research on the nipples and I can get about 9 for $10 bucks, does that sound about right?

-I live in Minnesota so Yeah it gets pretty darn cold here, and I bet we have a deicer laying somewhere around this old dairy farm.

Hey DickMidnight, That sounds like an idea I should try to run past my dad and see what he says. He is pretty handy with whatever tools we have laying around. I did some research on the nipples and I can get about 9 for $10 bucks, does that sound about right?
yeah that seems right. they’re available on amazon, and some kits even come with the properly sized drill bit to make the holes. then all you need is a bucket with a lid. it’s a very simple job.

Back
Top Bottom