Votes: 27 34.6%
  • Everyday simple Poultry Fountain

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • Water Cups

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • The Nipple Type Waterers

Votes: 30 38.5%

• Total voters
So I just saw this post and thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I have 2 coops that I built in large shed. One coop is about 30 square feet and has 5 RIR hens. The larger coop is almost 70 square feet and it houses 14 hens of various breeds.

In the smaller coop I have a 5 gallon bucket with 6 horizontal nipples. In the larger coop I have a 35 gallon feed storage bucket that has 10 horizontal nipples. Each waterer is sitting in a drip pan that is plumbed in to drain outside in case it leaks. They are both also plumbed in so I can fill them from outside. They both also have an over fill pipe that goes outside. Then they each have a drop in de-icer and have never had a problem.

I guess I didn’t really talk much about keeping water from freezing but nonetheless here are a pics of my setup. Maybe it will give someone a new idea. Hope everyone is having a great day.

Attachments

• D786C0FD-876B-4FD9-A82E-E3499C30E917.jpeg
    D786C0FD-876B-4FD9-A82E-E3499C30E917.jpeg
    688.2 KB · Views: 9
  • D7E96112-A103-42C0-8B5B-E1230F603AFF.jpeg
    D7E96112-A103-42C0-8B5B-E1230F603AFF.jpeg
    892.8 KB · Views: 11
  • E2CC6BC0-9A5A-4393-9177-B950C0D222D8.jpeg
    E2CC6BC0-9A5A-4393-9177-B950C0D222D8.jpeg
    500.2 KB · Views: 9
yeah that seems right. they’re available on amazon, and some kits even come with the properly sized drill bit to make the holes. then all you need is a bucket with a lid. it’s a very simple job.
you can make your own for much cheaper.

buy a 5-7 gallon bucket along with a pack of horizontal nipples.

drill holes, insert nipples, then drill small holes near the top of the bucket to prevent a vacuum seal. done and done.

if you live where it gets cold, then in the winter, you can drop a deicer in the bucket to keep the water from freezing.

5-7 gallons of water vs 2 gallons means you have to refill the bucket much less frequently.
I got a 15 gal plastic barrel and adder 4 nipples. Set it on a cinder block and put a aquarium heater in it. I also connected it to Thermo Cube to save on electric. We are away for a week or so a few times a year and did not want the chickens to run out of water while we are gone. The barrel has 2 bung in the top so it keeps the water clean. I did have to cut a small slot in the smaller bung for the cord for the heater
That also provides a way to prevent a vacuum in the barrel.

I got a 15 gal plastic barrel and adder 4 nipples. Set it on a cinder block and put a aquarium heater in it. I also connected it to Thermo Cube to save on electric. We are away for a week or so a few times a year and did not want the chickens to run out of water while we are gone. The barrel has 2 bung in the top so it keeps the water clean. I did have to cut a small slot in the smaller bung for the cord for the heater
That also provides a way to prevent a vacuum in the barrel.
that’s awesome. sounds just like my setup but larger.

i’m thinking of going to a larger container this summer

drill holes, insert nipples, then drill small holes near the top of the bucket to prevent a vacuum seal. done and done.

if you live where it gets cold, then in the winter, you can drop a deicer in the bucket to keep the water from freezing.

5-7 gallons of water vs 2 gallons means you have to refill the bucket much less frequently.

Hello! First time chicken owner here as well. So I can't really say from any experience. But I've done my research, and have found this waterer that I'm planning on using this winter. It has nipples, so there's no way of the chickens kicking dirt, dust, debris, or getting chicken poop in the water. And it's heated, so it won't freeze. The only issue being that you'll need electricity out there to plug it in. You'll need it though, otherwise the water will freeze, regardless of what type of waterer you end up using. If the water freezes in the nipples, it can damage the nipple causing leaks. And to me... A leaky waterer, is a useless waterer.
View attachment 3338818
I have this same waterer, i also use the black tubs and a have a plastic waterer that i can barely use in winter. I cant get my chickens to drink out of the nipple wateree system though. It works great to keep the water from freezing, ive tried everything to get them tk drink out of it. The black tubs work great for refilling you can just step on it and the ice comes out, and i just have a one gallon jug of water i carry out.

New 1st year/1st winter chicken owner here. I went the all metal double walled route with a heated base. I put the base on a couple of 2x4 and got it high enough to not get anything in it. I ended up having to put a upside down funnel on the top to keep the pullets off it. So far i am very happy with it. I am using a 2 gallon. But have a new 5 gallon hanging in the garage for next summer
20221101_170412.jpg

When I tried nipple waterers, the flock at the time didn't use them well. They just didn't seem to get a good drink out of them. I use an open dish tub most of the year. If it's placed next to the coop where they can't kick up dirt from all sides, it stays pretty clean. To keep leaves from falling in now, I have it under a piece of plywood that's propped against the coop (also how I provide extra shade in summer). In winter I use a deep heated dog bucket. When they free ranged, I had a couple of drownings in taller open rubber tubs that made me scratch my head at how they couldn't have gotten themselves out.

What de-icer do you recommend? Or have experience with?

I have the 5 gal bucket with nipples and the’ve already been frozen solid once this winter. This weekend will be below freezing

Back
Top Bottom