Waterers for shipping live birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I have been the recipient of a box full of plastic 2 oz. tubes and have added the watering nipple to it to serve as a waterer for birds in transit...especially for those that are being shipped.

I'm not trying to make money from this...just perhaps save a few birds that are delayed more than 2 days in shipping.

I pay $1.27 for the nipples plus shipping and since I got the tubes free I don't have to add that to the cost. I am going to sell them for $2.25 each plus shipping. That's not much $$ to assist in the bird arriving at it's destination alive and not irreparably dehydrated. They are refillable and reusable at home as well...think chicks!! [​IMG]

I am going to put them in "Everything else for sale".

Since I can only have one post for this, please get the word out to other BYC'ers that you think would be interested.

"Saving shipped birds one waterer at a time!"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    That is really cool-thats so nice of you to offer to help people like that:)

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    How would you attach it/ hang it inside a box?

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    You will attach it inside to the end of the box by poking 2 very small holes and using a nylon tie. I'm sending the tie along with a small piece of the rubberized shelf liner to wrap around the bottle before putting the tie on. That should hold it very snugly.

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Neat-o! I wish I would have seen this a few days ago! I will keep in in mind for the next one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by