Waterers?

I have three of these kinds of waterers. I like them, and have cold winters here too. I just take hot water out a couple times a day or more depending on the weather. I put mine under heat lamps so they stay thawed out. I had problems with one and it was just the O ring around the top as it had a crack in it. I do have a galvinized one, but definately like the plastic better. As far as screwing the tops on, just go the opposite way first then turn to the right. Hope this helps all.

my thrifty husband and i looked at the prices of these plastic waterers everyone is talking about and the galvanized ones too. but we choose a open top container waterer at the feed store, well i guess it can be used for water or feed
jumpy.gif
anyway it was a lot more in the price range we liked and we live in central louisiana where it we can have a heat index of 105 on some days in the summer. and i always go and freshen up there water and put ice in it in the afternoon after i have already cleaned them once and given them fresh water every morning. just to darn hot here
barnie.gif

Quote:
Thanks! In the coop/brooder I keep it up on a half cinderblock. That keeps it pretty clean. (The run is where it gets really dirty.) But they fly up on top and knock it over when it gets too close to empty (too light). I can't use the quart ones anymore for that reason.

The gallon worked today, but they went through about 80% of it while I was at work, so I expect they could knock that one over too if they get on it. I didn't really want to have to get anything bigger for in there ... (but 2 fillings a day is a bit much since they are only about 7 weeks old, I'm sure they will drink even more when they are bigger.)

Looking forward to getting the attached run built so I can put the water out there in the daytime. I think that's my best bet.

Thanks again!
trish

Aren't those metal waterers galvenized so they won't rust? Where is the cheapest place to buy a 1 or 1.5 gallon metal waterer? At the local farm stores they only sell much bigger ones - 3 gallon is the smallest.

It seems to me that the adult chickens prefer to drink out of a bucket. They are easy to carry, cheaper and easier to clean IMO.

Here's a tip. If you don't want sparrows to drink out of a bucket under-fill it. Leave the water level 6 inches from the top rim and put a cinder block by it so that the chickens can hop up on the block to drink when the water level gets low.

I am looking for a good hanging waterer. Something that is easy to use and strong. Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom