Waterers?

I started with the galvanized and it rusted thru and leaks. Went to the plastic with black handle and love it! I have 2 of them now (3 gal size). I will say, at first the lid was very hard to get off and on, but after using it for a while it was fine. In the winter, I put a warmer under it to keep it from freezing.

I recently got a 4 gal brower top fill for each coop. I love them. They have 2 handles on the top which make it so much easier to handle. I have a bad shoulder and this helps me alot. I think with any of the top fill waterers, if the top is not on tight enough, it will all leak out.

Glad to know I am not the only one about to kill my plastic waterer. I think I am going to look for something else and drop this one in the burn barrel.

I have a 3 gallon galvanized waterer hanging inside the barn; my geese were going through the 1 gallon plastic one faster than I could fill it. Then I added a regular bucket of water in the barn so the geese would have plenty of water to drink after I close the door.

I also have three 1 gallon plastic waterers scattered around. I fill the plastic ones every evening and scrub them each weekend.

Due the the extreme heat, I've been adding the electrolyte/vitamin powder to all waterers. The geese don't seem to be suffering (they have a pool), but the poor chickens are panting heavily by the time I get home from work. I'm surprised each day when I haven't lost one to heat. (They have a fan in the barn as well).

WINTER WATER HEATERS - - AllChookUp, you might check my "chickens in winter" article for more info about those galvanized metal water heaters ~

http://theworldofjenotopia.com/cmsjoomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53&Itemid=27

IN-COOP WATER - - And for those of you who are looking for small in-coop waterers, you might try getting those little "spout" waterers that just snap onto the opening of a regular water bottle (the kind people drink!). McMurray carries one, and we just screwed a small wooden "shelf" in the coop, plus a couple of wall screws to hold the springs, so it was modified enough to attach to the coop wall. Do make sure the girls figure out how to use it before you leave it as their only in-coop water source, though.

Here is the link for the bottle waterer ~

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/soft_drink_bottle_waterer.html

Jen in TN

Jen,

I have a questions about the bottle waterer, as this may be exactly what I'm looking for. Is it hard to remove the bottle and refill with water without spilling it?

thanks!
jill

Okay. After trying all sorts, my favorite waterer is either just a plain old plastic bucket with a metal handle or the 3 gallon waterer from Kuhl. If I'm watering out of a bucket I put a cinder block by it for the chickens to jump up on then drink. The 3 gallon waterer I put up on bricks.

Please be careful if you are watering from a drip bottle (which is a great idea by the way). Please put up enough so that less dominant birds can drink too. It's hard for birds to get a good drink quickly from a drip fount.

Back
Top Bottom