1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.


Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by grullablue, Aug 12, 2008.

  1. grullablue

    grullablue Songster

    Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I have a typical chicken waterer that you fill upside down, twist the bottom on, then tip it back over. I don't like these! Oftentimes when I tip it back over the bottom comes off and I'm refilling again, or I or one of the chickens bump the bottom when it's hanging in the pen, and it makes a big 'ol mess....I hate it! Are there waterers like that that fill from the top? I've been looking but haven't found anything. Thanks!
  2. PAChickenChick

    PAChickenChick Songster

    May 4, 2008
    I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for but one of the posts I saw on here shows a set up with a cooler....

    What this person did was to have a cooler situated up by the roof of the coop and the drain spout was hooked up to a hose, the hose led to an automatic waterer that he got from supply place that cost about $17 - $25.

    Now, the beauty of this is twofold. For one, you don't touch the hanging waterer to refill the water because you just pour new water into the cooler as needed....but also, the waterer was automatic which meant that the chickens would have just the right amount of water always....the cooler was something like 10 gallons or something.

    Here is the original post...and you want to scroll down to #6.

    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  3. sovia

    sovia Songster

    Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    I have one of the old-fashioned type galvanized waterers. It holds approximately three gallons, but does come in larger sizes. One simply fills it up with water, then slides a metal sleeve or cover over the top and lock it into place. I chose this type so I can use it with the electric heater in the winter. I have mine propped up on a crate right now, but I know they can also be hung from the ceiling. Thus far, I have been very happy with it!
  4. lurky

    lurky Songster

    Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I like the one gal waterer like you mention that screws on solid.....not just twist on with the tabs. I gave all my twist on ones away and fot the screw on ones. Also..... there is a 4 gal brower top fill. It has 2 handles and i recently got 2 of them and they work great. I have had no issues at all with these.
  5. barnold

    barnold Hatching

    Oct 17, 2007
    I have just 3 hens and mine are trained to use an ordinary (qt size) rabbit water bottle. I do have to refill it daily but the girls always have sparkling clean, fresh water with no chance of it getting "fowled".
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  6. tvtaber

    tvtaber Songster

    Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    We use a rubber feed pan like this with a rock in it so they don't tip it over. We rinse it and fill it at least once a day, somtimes twice.

  7. I have one of those buckets for water and one for feed. I also have one of those twist on waterers that my chickens use and the bowl is for the ducks as it is easier for them to drink from.

    Edited to add: mine are not the rubber but the plastic ones and no one dumps them so no rock in mine.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  8. grullablue

    grullablue Songster

    Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks! I ended up finding one that opens from the top instead of the bottom. It's working great! But I might use the pan thing for water outside.....not a bad idea! And here I use one of those, turned upside down, to set the waterer on.....

  9. Hen Daddy

    Hen Daddy In the Brooder

    Aug 20, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:I'm having a hard time visualizing this...do you have a picture, or a link to a site that does?

  10. pokey

    pokey Warrior Princess

    Jun 1, 2008
    you guys need to try a kuhl bell waterer. i ordered two from first state vet and LOVE them!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: