Waterfowl feed suggestions

Oct 1, 2021
Hi all, ducks are currently 7 wees old and are eating Nature's Best Organic Duck Crumbles. My plan is to switch them to a feed specifically for ducks (not a layer feed) but a feed with around 1% calcium and 17ish% protein. It is important to me that the feed be soy free and at least non-gmo if it contains corn. I thought I had found a good feed option but overlooked the fact that the calcium content is 4%. Kind of sucks that it is so hard to find what I'm looking for. I am open to making my own duck feed if it's not too complicated and it can provide adequate nutrition. Hopefully at least a few people here have suggestions. Thanks!

Making your own duck feed would be complicated but totally cool ☺️ and worth it! I haven't ever seen what your looking for 😩... And if I did I'm sure it would be in the 50$ 70$ range. Making it yourself would be more cost effective, but ducks can eat layer feed and will produce beautiful eggs and it's by FAR cheaper. Ducks eat a lot too so 💲💸💲💸 but good luck!!

Making your own duck feed would be complicated but totally cool ☺️ and worth it! I haven't ever seen what your looking for 😩... And if I did I'm sure it would be in the 50$ 70$ range. Making it yourself would be more cost effective, but ducks can eat layer feed and will produce beautiful eggs and it's by FAR cheaper. Ducks eat a lot too so 💲💸💲💸 but good luck!!
Thanks for the info. Since I'm so new to the duck world am and very much still learning, here's my next question. If I do feed a layer feed to the ducks, am I able to keep them on it all the time or do I need to switch feeds in the fall/winter? I am looking for easy here and was hoping to find a food that I can feed them year round.

Making your own duck feed would be complicated but totally cool ☺️ and worth it! I haven't ever seen what your looking for 😩.tiore cost effective, but ducks can eat layer feed and will produce beautiful eggs and it's by FAR cheaper. Ducks eat a lot too so 💲💸💲💸 but good luck!!
This is the food I was planning on switching them to. they say its for laying/non laying ducks but the calcium content is high. I should add my ducks are all female, in case that changes things. But this company told me you can start feeding this to ducks at 3 weeks old. Wouldn't the calcium content be toxic for ducks not laying? I want this feed to work. Hopefully you know a bit more about this than I. Thanks

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for the info. Since I'm so new to the duck world am and very much still learning, here's my next question. If I do feed a layer feed to the ducks, am I able to keep them on it all the time or do I need to switch feeds in the fall/winter? I am looking for easy here and was hoping to find a food that I can feed them year round.
Yup they can totally have that! But begin feeding it to them when they reach 4ish months. Ducks do appreciate a little bit more protein the chickens do so if you ever got dried mealworms they'll be a very healthy snack for them ❤️👍

This is the food I was planning on switching them to. they say its for laying/non laying ducks but the calcium content is high. I should add my ducks are all female, in case that changes things. But this company told me you can start feeding this to ducks at 3 weeks old. Wouldn't the calcium content be toxic for ducks not laying? I want this feed to work. Hopefully you know a bit more about this than I. Thanks
Hmmm. I do think that's a lot of calcium 🤔 but if there saying it'll be fine I would just trust them ... If anything happens you can always sue them later :lau joking but I would go with it ☺️

Hmmm. I do think that's a lot of calcium 🤔 but if there saying it'll be fine I would just trust them ... If anything happens you can always sue them later :lau joking but I would go with it ☺️
Thanks for the info. So do I have to switch the food to a maintence food when they are not laying like the hatchery says to do?

Thanks for the info. So do I have to switch the food to a maintence food when they are not laying like the hatchery says to do?
  • 0-2 WEEKS OLD: 22-22.5% Waterfowl Starter Crumble — If you can't find a 22% starter feed, use a 20+% protein starter feed and use it for a full 4 weeks.
  • 3 WEEKS THROUGH FIRST EGG: 17.5-19% Waterfowl Grower Crumble
  • DURING EGG PRODUCTION: 17.5% Waterfowl Layer Pellet
  • BETWEEN LAYING SEASONS: 14.5-16% Waterfowl Maintenance Pellet

This is the info from the hatchery

• 0-2 WEEKS OLD: 22-22.5% Waterfowl Starter Crumble — If you can't find a 22% starter feed, use a 20+% protein starter feed and use it for a full 4 weeks.
  • 3 WEEKS THROUGH FIRST EGG: 17.5-19% Waterfowl Grower Crumble
  • DURING EGG PRODUCTION: 17.5% Waterfowl Layer Pellet
  • BETWEEN LAYING SEASONS: 14.5-16% Waterfowl Maintenance Pellet

This is the info from the hatchery
Sister this is insanely complicated 😂 why are you wanting this kind of food again? What do you gain? Im just wondering so I can help ya out 😉

Sister this is insanely complicated 😂 why are you wanting this kind of food again? What do you gain? Im just wondering so I can help ya out 😉
Lol I do not want to get complicated like this which is why I want one food to start feeding them when they are mature and to keep feeding them at least until they are too old to lay eggs any longer. I think a 17% protein ration will be good for them year long even if they quit laying in the winter. But I read non laying ducks need only 1% calcium and if they get more calcium, it can cause kidney failure. Laying ducks need 3-4% calcium. So I'm wondering if the ducks do stop laying in the winter, will this feed provide a dangerous amount of calcium? I'm new here so I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom