Watering goats in winter?

catcrazy37

Songster
6 Years
Jul 4, 2014
I'm planning to use a trough/bucket and a float valve, fed by a hose. The container can be heated easily enough during winter, but the hose is another story. Does it make sense to put in a water line below freeze level for the winter, or should I just go with the old bucket approach? (It's only a couple of goats, is the water line too much?)

I don't know much about goats, but from my point of view, a good rule of thumb concerning making decisions like that about all kinds of animals is trying to think what you would want your owner to do if you were in their shoes, so, if it's really cold where you live, you would probably want to put a water line in, but if it's only moderately cold, you'd probably be best just going with the bucket. Good luck!
-Ameraucanas

Do what makes sense to you. Personally, I like the water line because I hate packing buckets of water. I found a heated bucket with a float valve online from some livestock supply. It worked well but I can't remember where I got it. I found it by googling heated waterers or somesuch and it came up. I don't remember what it cost, I think it was about thirty dollars but it worked very well even when the temperature got to zero.

Back
Top Bottom