Watering in the Winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bigchicken56, Nov 18, 2012.

1. bigchicken56

bigchicken56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    Can anyone give me some suggestions on how i could water my hens in the winter? I do not have any running water in my coup and i do not have hose set up on the winter either. Thank you for your help.[​IMG]

2. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Do you have electricity? if you do make a tin can heater, just take your water into the house fill it and bring it out to the coop every day. a tin can heater will keep it from freezing and its so cheap to make!! look it up :)

3. bigchicken56

bigchicken56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    Thank you very much, i will try making one.

4. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    took me a whole five mijutes to make, and its now on its seconds year. works wonderfully.

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    Depending how cold it gets where you are and how many birds you have, you can just fill dish/waterer with warm water every morning and put it in the sun, that's what I do and it works well [​IMG]

6. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    we get way below zero, and usually not above 30 most of the time. no sun will keep it unfrozen here. sorry lol. and my pen is covered, so sun is out of the question. if it works for you awesome. but with a covered run as mine is, there is light but no sun.

7. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    Yikes, western Montana! [​IMG] You make my childhood Chicago winters sound mild [​IMG]

8. lookyhereboy

lookyhereboy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Drury, MO
    If you have electricity put a bird bath de-icer in it. It works great. I use mine in a plastic bucket nipple waterer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by