Watering nipple mess

Arkantex

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
West Texas
I know alot of you guys and gals use watering nipples for your flocks. I have 22, 3-4 week old chicks and I have just started using the watering nipples for them. They are making a mess under the waterer. What do yall do to keep them from making such a mess and getting everything wet under the watering nipples?

What are the nipples in? I use a small container ( less than a gallon) because chicks can not drink all the water that comes out if the container has too much pressure.

Well, that sounds like you have a leak or too many of the nipples in a small space. It's supposed to be 1 nipple per 10-13 birds if I recall.

I have 16 full-grown birds and 2 nipples between all of them.

I LOVE our waterer, btw. SO much easier.

Last edited:
i haver to refil 5 gal waterers everyday i would love to see some pictures of your set up if you don't mind..if it would keep me from dumping waterers and rtefilling them with clean water every other day . i woll like to do this instead.

I am using 2 watering nipples. Each one is on a 1/2 gallon cranberry juice container. I don't currently have a pic and I am at work right now. I might be able to take a pic or 2 when I get home. I did put a vent hole in each one of the containers. Do you think that could be my problem? Possibly allowing to much water out because of the vent?

arkantex,
i also am at work , if you could send me a pic and i may be able to help, i have never used one but unless it seals at the nipple ( im guessing they work like a rabbit waterer) then yes probibly are just free flowing . like i said i have 5 galon waterers but i would think i could hook these right to a garden hose. . i am going to do some reasearch on these.

[edited for typos]

Last edited:
I use a 5 gal bucket watere with 4 nipples on it. I sell nipples and premade wateres my nipple are heavy duty they dont leak. If your intristed in any send me a message k.
112529_5y45u05r53p43oe3labblcce45053d6381cf7.jpg

112529_383348294_164.jpg

Mr.peeps

mr peeps,
it does work like a rabbit waterer then? the pressure on the ball keeps it from leaking? also do you hang these and they drink looking up under the bucket? i wonder how long it would take my birds to figure out that was the waterer after drinking from the traditional waterer for 2+ years

Back
Top Bottom