Watering overnight?

MaidMariHen

Chirping
May 14, 2020
My chickens are spending the night outside for the first time tonight. Our coop has a section for the chickens at night + nesting boxes, and then a mini run, where the feeder and waterer are (we have also a bigger run). We have foxes and raccoons in our neighborhood, so I want to close the door to the sleeping area at night, and that means they wouldn't be able to acsess the waterer. do I need to provide a small water dish for the chickens overnight?

It is preferred that they have water overnight, but if that is impossible it is okay as long as they get some first thing in the morning. I think your biggest concern would be going on a trip and leaving them in the coop all day, or for forgetting to let them out until afternoon. So I think as long as you are consistant, it is really up to you.

Good luck!

No. Chickens stay on the roost at night and will not need water until daylight, so if they are let out early, water in the coop is not necessary. However, if you like to sleep in and the chickens don't always get let out of the coop right away, then, yes, water should be put in the coop.

I've been told they do not drink at night. However, I do keep a waterer in the coop overnight in the event I am late letting them out into the run in the A.M. for me it gives some assurance that even if I am unexpectedly unable to let them out in the morning, they atleast have a water source in there to hold them over.

My chickens are spending the night outside for the first time tonight. Our coop has a section for the chickens at night + nesting boxes, and then a mini run, where the feeder and waterer are (we have also a bigger run). We have foxes and raccoons in our neighborhood, so I want to close the door to the sleeping area at night, and that means they wouldn't be able to acsess the waterer. do I need to provide a small water dish for the chickens overnight?
Absolutely they need it and do me a favor do the hot pepper trick it will give you piece of mind i use ghost peppers but use the hottest peppers you can get your hands on and crush them especially the seeds then make a border around your coop and run it keeps predators away reapply every month and after real heavy rains

I keep feed and water in both coops 24/7.
But my coops are big enough, well ventilated and predator proof when I close the pop door.
Our coop has a section for the chickens at night + nesting boxes, and then a mini run, where the feeder and waterer are
It sounds like you have a prefab. You will need to open the pop door at sunrise daily so they can drink and eat.
we have also a bigger run). We have foxes and raccoons in our neighborhood, so I want to close the door to the sleeping area at night
A good idea, Raccoons can climb a fence and rip the wire off most prefabs.
STC_0002 (5).JPG

I would remove the feeder at night and secure in a metal container with a locking lid outside of pen or bring feeder in your house or basement. GC

Back
Top Bottom