Watering System

Italian Chicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 24, 2011
I just built a watering system using three 30gal barrels. I bought watering cups and I am wondering how long it will take for theme to learn how to use them. Some will drink out of theme but they don't seem to peck at the water valve in cup and some peck at bottom of cup. Are cups a bad choice and should I have gone with watering nipples?

It took my week old chicks all of about 3 minutes to realize how a water nipple worked. I have not used the ones with the cup however, I have read that lots of people have success with it. Can you remove the cups until they learn how to peck the valves and then place the cups back on?

That is an awesome setup.....It took most of my 3.5 week olds about 10 minutes to figure it out and I agree, you just tap it and once one uses it, they all will start......I love em.....here is my system...

Right now I'm filling it with house water but I'm in the process of hooking it up to a gutter.
Thank you for posting your pics....this really helped me for ideas.

I really wanted to catch the rain water for my chickens also, but I have heard that the chemicals from the shingled roof would be in the water. and i have shingles.
sickbyc.gif

I was thinking of adding a filter system but not sure how to get the chemicals out.
sad.png

So I am thinking If I just use our well water to fill the barrels. (not that my well water would be any better, lots of field run off around here)

I wouldn't have to run/carry so much water.....and they wouldn't run out on hot days. I have 40....36 hens & 4 roo's

I have 17 chickens but my wife will not go in coup to feed or get eggs. Opening fishing is coming so I need to have water and food for a week. Neighbor will get eggs while I'm gone. Next auto feeder.

Back
Top Bottom