Watering

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jay1105, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Jay1105

Jay1105 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    San Antonio
    I have a auto waterer set up with nipples. I have an insulated igloo 5 gal. water gug set up with a 1/2 " plastic tube going to PVC that has the nipples screwed into it. I keep switching out frozen water bottels to keep the water cool since its been around 100 degrees for some time now in south Texas. When I switch out the frozen bottles I smell kind of an odor to the water, kind of hard to describe the oder. They go through the water in about 5 days. My question is, is this too long before switching to fresh water? also has anyone ever introduced say a cap full of bleach per 5 gallons of water to cut down on water born bacteria/parasites? Would this harm the chickens? When I do switch out their water I clean the jug with bleach and then rinse it out.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

2. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    I put a capful of white vinegar to the gallon in mine. No odors and helps keep the bacteria down. Don't know about bleach.

1 person likes this.
  3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Bleach is considered "safe" by the FDA, which is why people consume gallons of it yearly by eating McDonald fries and such. I prefer to use apple cider vinegar since it is at least something you find in the kitchen and not the garage. It will do just as good and a healthier choice.

1 person likes this.
  4. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    Organic Apple Cider Vinegar

1 person likes this.
  5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Bleach is used in water for both disease prevention & treatment.

From a very knowledgable BYCer.

2 cups household bleach in a gallon container, fill with water. This is the solution. If kept sealed will not dissipate.

Use 1 Tbsp solution per gallon as preventative
    Use 2 Tbsp solution per gallon if birds are sick

refresh daily

Imp​

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by