Watermelon Rind???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CatsCrazyCoop, Jul 18, 2011.

1. CatsCrazyCoop

CatsCrazyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Ok, so my girls go batty for the super sweet watermelon that I dice up into small pieces (they are about 6 weeks old)

Can I feel them the rind? And if so... do I have to dice it up or can I just put the whole rind in with them?

Thanks

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I slice up the watermelon and keep the red part for me and toss the rest of the rind to the chickens. They will dive in and eat it down to the green outer rind. It's paper thin when they get done with it!

Just toss the whole rind in there. [​IMG]

3. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    Quote:I agree, They will eat it until there is almost nothing left!

4. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Absolutely! The skin will be the only thing left after our girls get watermelon. They love it and it is so good on a hot day. Makes 'em happy, just like us.

5. CaroleW

CaroleW Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Yes- it keeps them cool and hydrated here in the Arizona heat too. They love watermelon (or any melon)- even just the rinds.

6. LivingRootsFarm

LivingRootsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Samsula
    I was unsure about this too until my next door neighbor who sells produce gave me a dozen watermelon that were not good. I took the whole melon and cut it in quarters and gave it to them. They pretty much ate the whole thing - there was a tad of skin left. I have been giving them a melon a day and they wait for me every morning for it. Only probably is I only have one melon left!

7. LPOHHomestead

LPOHHomestead Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Indiana
    Quote:Agreed! That's what our chickens do. It almost looks as if you've peeled the watermelon, it's so thin. They go nuts over it. Chunks of rind worked great when I was training them to go back into the coop in the evenings.

LPOHHomestead
    www.littlepatchofheavenhomestead.blogspot.com

8. caliscoop

caliscoop New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    throw in the whole watermelon... they will eat everything but the green out side... I just throw the the slices big small they will eat it all...

9. MARANMAN2011

MARANMAN2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    My wife and kids get most of the watermelon the cuckoos get the rest.

10. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    YES! They will love you for it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by