Watermelon Rind???

CatsCrazyCoop

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Putnam Valley, NY
Ok, so my girls go batty for the super sweet watermelon that I dice up into small pieces (they are about 6 weeks old)

Can I feel them the rind? And if so... do I have to dice it up or can I just put the whole rind in with them?

Thanks

I slice up the watermelon and keep the red part for me and toss the rest of the rind to the chickens. They will dive in and eat it down to the green outer rind. It's paper thin when they get done with it!

Just toss the whole rind in there.
smile.png

Absolutely! The skin will be the only thing left after our girls get watermelon. They love it and it is so good on a hot day. Makes 'em happy, just like us.

Yes- it keeps them cool and hydrated here in the Arizona heat too. They love watermelon (or any melon)- even just the rinds.

I was unsure about this too until my next door neighbor who sells produce gave me a dozen watermelon that were not good. I took the whole melon and cut it in quarters and gave it to them. They pretty much ate the whole thing - there was a tad of skin left. I have been giving them a melon a day and they wait for me every morning for it. Only probably is I only have one melon left!

throw in the whole watermelon... they will eat everything but the green out side... I just throw the the slices big small they will eat it all...

Back
Top Bottom