Waterproofing chicken coop after chickens already moved in

Momma*chicken

Songster
5 Years
Jun 14, 2018
Upstate NY... Adirondacks
So my husband and I built our chicken coop from scratch back in June. We have recently been noticing water damage in the wood and some mold. We originally painted the coop with barn and fence paint and thought that would waterproof it enough... We were wrong :he... So here's my question. What is a safe way to put deck sealant on the coop to prevent any further damage, and not have the chickens breathe in any of these fumes. When will it be dry enough so they can re-enter? They free range all day and are all done laying all their eggs by about noon. Other than that, they are out of their coop all day. So is this safe to do?
Thanks!

The coop itself is not leaking inside, the water damage is more along the outside walls....however there is some mold on the inside of the door. The outside walls were painted red and now have some black splotches all over. We just built it back in June, but had a very wet and humid summer, so I think that may have something to do with it. We live in the Adirondacks, so in terms of temp, it generally doesn't get that hot... But we do get a LOT of precipitation and moisture... We live along the lake. We thought the barn paint was waterproof... Guess not... Will take pix soon... At the moment I can't

The coop itself is not leaking inside, the water damage is more along the outside walls....however there is some mold on the inside of the door. The outside walls were painted red and now have some black splotches all over. We just built it back in June, but had a very wet and humid summer, so I think that may have something to do with it. We live in the Adirondacks, so in terms of temp, it generally doesn't get that hot... But we do get a LOT of precipitation and moisture... We live along the lake. We thought the barn paint was waterproof... Guess not... Will take pix soon... At the moment I can't
Is coop in shade?
That can feed mold/mildew growth..and it can grow right on the paint or vinyl siding, so 'waterproofing' or adding more paint won't stop it, just cover what's already there.

But painting outside of coop shouldn't put birds in danger.

Here are some pix of the coop. As you can see, it is in partial shade... The inside of the coop is very dry, except for the main door, and the nesting box roof ,which opens up
0927181200.jpg
0927181157b.jpg
0927181159.jpg
0927181158.jpg
0927181159a.jpg
0927181157a.jpg
0927181157.jpg
0927181157c.jpg
0927181159b.jpg

That looks like moisture not mold ..it’s not good either .

There are waterproof paints or products to seal wood , go ask and your hardware store they should be able to help you .

I lived by a lake our door hinges even rusted it was nasty ..;(

Was that all new wood or old?
Almost looks like staining from under paint on surfaces....wetness on edges.
Door and nest roof was not built to shed water properly...painting won't fix that.

Was that all new wood or old?
Almost looks like staining from under paint on surfaces....wetness on edges.
Door and nest roof was not built to shed water properly...painting won't fix that.
At first the nesting box did not have proper roofing, but over 2 months ago we put currigated roofing over it... The main roof of the whole coop was completely waterproofed from the beginning . Tar paper and roofing, which is why the inside is completely dry. There r zero leaks. The nesting box was blocked off until about a month ago cuz the girls were not ready for laying yet. They started laying about 3wks ago. The moisture is no longer getting into the nesting box, however I think the water that leaked into the nesting box before we put the currigated roofing on it is what did the damage there

Back
Top Bottom