Waterproofing OSB Floor

I ended up using Epoxy-Coat garage floor finish purchased at Lowes:

I called the company and asked about using it on a chicken coop floor they said it would be ideal. it's been a couple of months now and when I push the wood shavings and expose the floor it looks just like this picture. At first I dreaked out because it was so smooth it seemed like it would be slippery, it's not. To be honest I would have used it on the poop boards too had I known it would turn out this good. On the down side It is very expensive ($143) to do my 8' x 12' coop.

Last edited:
Is this the stuff you used? It looks very involved. How long did it take you if you don't mind me asking?

Yes that is it, took less than 1 hour in the rain. Very easy to use. Dry like a rock in the morning!

I have six kids and hardwood floors I swear if I had known about this stuff I would have put down plywood and covered it with this stuff, in my house!

I put down a coat of the blackjack 57 roof coat and I'm wondering, is one coat enough? If I wanted to wash it well and add a second coat in the spring, would that be ok? Would a second coat adhere to the first ok? I have about 80% of my gallon can left as my coop house is just 3x5.

Yes that is it, took less than 1 hour in the rain. Very easy to use. Dry like a rock in the morning!

I have six kids and hardwood floors I swear if I had known about this stuff I would have put down plywood and covered it with this stuff, in my house!

We're adding a new coop next weekend, I'll be doing my floor the same as yours. Thanks so much for this, I'm really looking forward to not having peeling vinyl floor in the coop.

I put down a coat of the blackjack 57 roof coat and I'm wondering, is one coat enough? If I wanted to wash it well and add a second coat in the spring, would that be ok? Would a second coat adhere to the first ok? I have about 80% of my gallon can left as my coop house is just 3x5.

I put one coat down in my coop almost 4 yrs ago. It looks the same today as it did then. So I would say one coat is enough. It's the best, IMO, coop floor cover you can get. And it's waaaaaaay cheaper than some two part epoxy. The rubber coat is flexible, The epoxy is not. I would think after a few years in a coop environment, going through the temp extremes of the different seasons, with the normal expansion and contraction of the coop, the rigid epoxy would start cracking and separate from the wooden floor. Maybe not, but I'm glad I went with the Blackjack.

Thanks, Jack. I really do like the Blackjack so far. I thought that the black color would bother me, but it doesn't. It dried nice and even and even wipes up nicely. I also thought it was rather inexpensive at $15 for a gallon. I wish I could have just bought a quart!

Thanks, Jack. I really do like the Blackjack so far. I thought that the black color would bother me, but it doesn't. It dried nice and even and even wipes up nicely. I also thought it was rather inexpensive at $15 for a gallon. I wish I could have just bought a quart!
I never see the floorcoat, until I do my twice a year clean out. So the color doesn't matter to me. I bought mine in a 4.75 gal pail. I have a lot left over. Wish I could have bought it by the gal. Depending on your floor size, you could have just poured the whole gallon on your floor and just spread it out.

I second JackE. I did one coat 5 months ago, and even though it is covered with chips, when the hens do scratch down to the floor, it still looks like new. In fact, I decided to go with Blackjack57 because of JackE's high recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom