Watery Swollen Eye

No, fish amoxicillin is oral 250mg capsules. One pill every day for ten days usually cures most infections. That's what I use for my chickens when one gets sick or has an infection from a wound.

If your hen's swollen, watery eye is caused by bacteria, amoxicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotic and should be able to cure it. If something else, say worms, is the cause, it won't help unless there's a secondary infection, still leaving the worms to be dealt with.

I've never dealt with eye worms, but have read that worm medicine should work on them. It certainly can't hurt to try it.

As far as egg withdrawal when amoxicillin is used, I don't bother with it. I simply inform my egg customers that one of my layers is on an antibiotic and to let me know if they have allergies so I don't include eggs from that hen in their box.

If your hen isn't responding to the antibiotic ointment, I would try the oral antibiotic. You can often find them at feed stores, usually in liquid form. I prefer the oral capsules, though so I know I'm giving an accurate dose.

I'm in the same boat as you are in that none of the vets around here deal with chickens. I've learned to spot a sick chicken and get them on the antibiotic before they get worse and die, which can happen pretty fast with chickens. I may not know exactly what the diagnosis is, but I do recognize sick.

No, fish amoxicillin is oral 250mg capsules. One pill every day for ten days usually cures most infections. That's what I use for my chickens when one gets sick or has an infection from a wound.

If your hen's swollen, watery eye is caused by bacteria, amoxicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotic and should be able to cure it. If something else, say worms, is the cause, it won't help unless there's a secondary infection, still leaving the worms to be dealt with.

I've never dealt with eye worms, but have read that worm medicine should work on them. It certainly can't hurt to try it.

As far as egg withdrawal when amoxicillin is used, I don't bother with it. I simply inform my egg customers that one of my layers is on an antibiotic and to let me know if they have allergies so I don't include eggs from that hen in their box.

If your hen isn't responding to the antibiotic ointment, I would try the oral antibiotic. You can often find them at feed stores, usually in liquid form. I prefer the oral capsules, though so I know I'm giving an accurate dose.

I'm in the same boat as you are in that none of the vets around here deal with chickens. I've learned to spot a sick chicken and get them on the antibiotic before they get worse and die, which can happen pretty fast with chickens. I may not know exactly what the diagnosis is, but I do recognize sick.

my friend is also having chickens getting eye problems and I wanted to post the pictures here to see if anybody had some ideas?

She's wondering if wazine17 will help with this?
idunno.gif

It's hard to tell anything from the pictures in your post. Wazine will help only if it is worms, and I'm not sure Wazine is effective with eyeworms. If you can get better pictures, start a new thread and post them with more information about her symptoms.

Last edited:
Here's an update. The eye looks better. I haven't gotten the Fish Mox yet, but I dosed her for eyeworms with Valbazen the other day. I don't know if that contributed or not. I figure it didn't hurt.

Those spots that have shown up on her waddle bring me back to fowl pox. Looking at the first picture I posted, there's a white spot on her comb that has turned black in the second picture. I don't know what else might have been going on, but it looks like fowl pox was definitely a factor.

I would personally use tetracycline eye ointment if possible. I have found it to be more effective than triple antibiotic cream. Should be less than $20 bucks at tractor supply..as I mentioned it seems more effective.

Heads up (praying this isn't the case for you), I had a chick around 12 weeks old who had what appeared to be an eye infection. I treated with tetracycline and albon per my local avian vet. I opted for isolation instead of costly testing. After her symptoms cleared up and she seemed well I re-integrated her. Two weeks later she was wheezing and another chick was sick. This time I had her tested and learned she had infectious coryza.

Point to this is that separation and bio security is key...you just never know what you are really dealing with.

...Heads up (praying this isn't the case for you), I had a chick around 12 weeks old who had what appeared to be an eye infection. I treated with tetracycline and albon per my local avian vet. I opted for isolation instead of costly testing. After her symptoms cleared up and she seemed well I re-integrated her. Two weeks later she was wheezing and another chick was sick. This time I had her tested and learned she had infectious coryza....

That's a tough one. We do what we think is best in the circumstances, but we're not always right. I hope your flock came out of it okay.

I really don't think this is that. She had no symptoms except for the swollen eye -- no labored breathing or wheezing, no discharge from her nostrils, no pus in her eye, all through this she has acted normally (except for the part where she is now avoiding me because every time I pick her up, I'm messing with her eye), she's eating and drinking as usual and enforcing her position in the pecking order. That swollen eye hasn't slowed her down one little bit. It's been about a week, and so far, I don't see symptoms in any of her flockmates. (crossing my fingers, of course)

...Heads up (praying this isn't the case for you), I had a chick around 12 weeks old who had what appeared to be an eye infection.  I treated with tetracycline and albon per my local avian vet.  I opted for isolation instead of costly testing.  After her symptoms cleared up and she seemed well I re-integrated her.  Two weeks later she was wheezing and another chick was sick.  This time I had her tested and learned she had infectious coryza....

That's a tough one. We do what we think is best in the circumstances, but we're not always right. I hope your flock came out of it okay.

I really don't think this is that. She had no symptoms except for the swollen eye -- no labored breathing or wheezing, no discharge from her nostrils, no pus in her eye, all through this she has acted normally (except for the part where she is now avoiding me because every time I pick her up, I'm messing with her eye), she's eating and drinking as usual and enforcing her position in the pecking order. That swollen eye hasn't slowed her down one little bit. It's been about a week, and so far, I don't see symptoms in any of her flockmates. (crossing my fingers, of course)
here's a couple more of my friends pictures of her two birds, one of them is a quail and I'm suspecting there's fowl pox at least with one of them maybe both. With these pictures any other opinions here. I think it's kind of a similar thing you may be dealing with on your bird.

Any ideas or agreement with fowl pox? The eat and drink without any problem.:idunno

...Any ideas or agreement with fowl pox? The eat and drink without any problem.
idunno.gif

Might be. Those birds don't have the watery eye like mine did when it started. The black spot near the eye, is that like a scab? You might want to post those pictures in a new thread to get opinions. This thread is getting old and folks aren't looking at it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom