Watery white poop with something in it? Missing vent feathers? (Pictures)

Kaitlin H

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2021
Hey everyone,

I’m concerned about one of my hens, Rue. She’s an 18 month old Easter Egger. Tonight I noticed when she pooped tonight it was white and watery/slimy. I was a bit concerned but trying not to panic because I had seen another hen poop like that back in the summer when it was really hot.

She has also been losing feathers around her vent and some of the feathers had gotten dirty with poo. I’ve checked her several times for mites/lice, especially around the vent, but can never see anything. Yesterday I went into the coop an hour after dark and wiped the bottoms of the roosts with a paper towel—no mites.

So I checked her again tonight because I’m getting paranoid and I can’t figure out if something might be wrong or if it’s just part of molting (this is my first time with chickens during a molt). After I set her down after checking her, she pooped again. It was very small, the same white watery/slimy consistency as earlier tonight but this time there was something in it. I wiped it up off the floor with a paper towel (all the brown was from the floor, not her). It looks almost like a little piece of tissue? I don’t think it’s blood. I put it in a ziploc bag in case I need to go to the vet.

Food wise the last couple days they’ve had their regular feed mixed in with a higher protein feed I just got them to help with the molt, and some meal worms. No other treats. I had first noticed she was losing feathers around her vent in late August and I had thought it might have been because I fed them too much watermelon, but now I’m not so sure.

Can anyone help me figure out what might be going on? She seems normal otherwise—eating and drinking and running around the yard. Her feathers where she’s molting on her body are coming back in nicely but she’s still bald on her butt (I felt terrible for having to pick her up with all her little quills coming in, she wasn’t a happy camper!)

Attachments

• 35B6FE3A-7465-4920-95A4-7AA11F26F987.jpeg
    35B6FE3A-7465-4920-95A4-7AA11F26F987.jpeg
    509 KB · Views: 27
  • 1F0C6278-24DE-4FAE-9443-38D321B45280.jpeg
    1F0C6278-24DE-4FAE-9443-38D321B45280.jpeg
    480.2 KB · Views: 21
I'm going through similar issues with my EE, I have a thread with a more detailed update. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-with-watery-white-poop.1494499/

My summary from the vet at this point is to first check if the crop is emptying ok, if it is emptying and it is producing extra urine it is probably kidneys, so lots of watery poops. If it is not emptying and it is watery poop but not more frequent poops just not enough solids in them, then it might be a partial obstruction/ impaction.

Not sure if is actually the same issue, but it is at least a place to start.

Back
Top Bottom