Watery Whites?

Toast

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 7, 2007
I noticed that since my hens are foraging more, my yolks are deeper orange, however, the whites are super runny now like water almost. Why is that? I do't think it's necessary related to the hens being on grass but that's the only change as of late.

Are the eggs safe to eat?

My 5 Barred Rock Pullets "free range" in a 2,500 square foot enclosure. They have been laying since just after Christmas, and lay eggs with a very orange yolk (much more than store bought eggs) and they tend to have "runnier" whites.

In my (small) experience, this is normal - and all our eggs are delicious! We have not wasted one egg since they started laying - they're too good to let go to waste.

Others with more experience will weigh-in here, but I think what your describing sounds normal.

The only time I have a problem with watery whites is in the middle of winter, if eggs froze or almost froze. It's not a problem for me, otherwise. We free range from spring to fall.

For me, eggs from the store have always been the ones with watery whites. I always thought it was because store eggs are so old by the time you buy them. That's one of the reasons I like fresh.

I have to respond...we only get 3-4 eggs a day (occasionally 5). In a family of four...we eat them all, daily. They are never stale. They are eaten within 24 hourse of laying....and are never older than 4 hours old when collected.

Last edited:
i let mine free range and there whites and yolk are very thick that i can barely get them out of the egg sometimes!
i think they should still be ok to eat.
thanks!
~bri

Back
Top Bottom