wattle suddenly gone cyanotic, but comb fine. Is this fowl cholera?

Perris

Still learning
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 28, 2018
Gower, Wales
Chirk, a 1 yr old Swedish Flower, has appeared with cyanotic wattles this morning. His comb is bright red. No sniffles. His behaviour is normal. He was completely normal yesterday. Has he just dipped or dragged his wattles in muck, or is he short of oxygen? Everything I've found on cholera says his comb would be affected too, but it's not, so I'm stumped. Any help or advice appreciated.
P1090254.JPG

temps not that low at the moment, not even a frost last night. But standing water is decidedly cold, so maybe that's it. How long would it take to restore colour, if it is that?

Has he just dipped or dragged his wattles in muck, or is he short of oxygen?
Did you try to clean them off?
That's the best way to know if it's mud.

temps not that low at the moment, not even a frost last night. But standing water is decidedly cold, so maybe that's it. How long would it take to restore colour, if it is that?
What have the temps been?

his comb is darkening too now
Pics of comb, please.
So both wattle and now comb turned color just today?

Chirk, a 1 yr old Swedish Flower, has appeared with cyanotic wattles this morning. His comb is bright red. No sniffles. His behaviour is normal. He was completely normal yesterday. Has he just dipped or dragged his wattles in muck, or is he short of oxygen? Everything I've found on cholera says his comb would be affected too, but it's not, so I'm stumped. Any help or advice appreciated.
Can you catch him and inspect the wattles, really hard to tell much in the photo?
Have you tried washing them off?

This is what Cholera looks like. Photo Ref
1584295071675.png

temps have been about 5C/40F overnight, 10/50 today. I'm sure now it's not mud/muck. His appetite is still good.
this is him now - yesterday both comb and wattle were bright red and he looked a picture of health! I cannot believe how fast this is changing colour
1584294963714.png

@Wyorp Rock he def doesn't look like that, thankfully!

I haven't tried to wash them; I have never held him and I don't think I have a hope of catching him in daytime at least!

Back
Top Bottom