1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

waving heads back and forth

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pollitohenhouse, Jan 27, 2015.

1. pollitohenhouse

pollitohenhouse In the Brooder

Jan 18, 2015
    I had a problem with one of my roosters last week. he had a touch of frostbite on his comb that blistered. After reading the frostbite articles on BYC, I brought him inside to heal up. he acted completely normal, he drank and ate, wanted treats and ect. At the beginning of it though, he would wave his head from side to side a lot....I figured it was because on his discomfort. I am proud to say he is back in the coop with his flock and doing good. Now I've noticed that an other rooster is doing the back and forth thing with his head. And this rooster shows no signs of frostbite at all!!!! he is eating and drinking good and not acting weird at all. I have no idea what would make him do this. Is he in pain? mites?
    I don't know if its related or not.....but the rooster in question is very big...and now that he seems to be in discomfort, other roosters are stating to challenge him and even try to mount him....whats going on?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Lovely to hear your Roos frost bite is now better and he is back with the flock. As to your other roo the head movements could be a neurological issue or even just flock dynamics and behaviour changing because the other roo was seperate for a while. I would post in this section of the forum giving as much detail of symptoms as possible for all the expert advice https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

X2 on Yorkshire Coop. I've found that my birds occaisionally move their heads around when they are irritated by something, such as when something is on their comb or head. I would check for mites, as mites can be found on the head and are very irritating.

Good luck with your flock!

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

X2 on Yorkshire Coop and Wyandottes7. Good luck with your flock!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3 on post in the Emergencies section, double check their ears also.

7. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by