Wax-sealed egg starting to hatch!!--need advice!

sfogle

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Hello,

I have an egg that is starting to hatch. It cracked a couple of weeks ago and I followed the advice on here of sealing it with candle wax. So, my question is do I need to peel away any of the wax to help it hatch better? The chick is pipping and has made a huge crack around one side, but is still under the thin white layer of the egg. It is starting to dry up and am worried it may be having trouble getting out the other end where all the wax is.

I don't want to peel off too much of the egg and hurt the chick but I also don't want it to be in distress if its beak is directly under the wax and that is why it is drying out. I checked it last night around 10pm....and then this morning at 10AM. So..it either starting hatching late last night/early this morning.

I assume it would be hatched by end of day just trying to figure out on the wax thing.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

oh I didn't know I could seal a cracked egg! Darn. I found an egg with a crack (sadly I think I did it) when I was fixing the hatch area. I threw it out. She had only been sitting for a couple days.

ok...how do I carefully help it out?? Do...I move away the shell or actually gently poke through the white membrane...it has a small hole in the membrane with what I think is it's beak. I was originally worried it would start pipping where the wax is but I don't think that is the case. The wax is very hard to "peel" back...but I think I can gently peel away pieces of the shell, I had just read conflicting things of what and when to intervene.

So, if you could let me know exactly what I should do and when, I would greatly appreicate it. I am so amazed this little chick survived the two cracks I really want it to make it all the way.

Thanks so much!

If the membrane is turning thick and white and is NOT moist, start picking away at the shell with tweezers, then gently peel the membrane where the hole is...if you see running blood stop, place a warm moist paper towel over it for a time then try again. A tiny bit of blood is okay, but if there's a lot, then stop. It is day 21, correct? Is it peeping?

I don't know for sure what day it is...I am sure it is close...the egg is under our hen, not in an incubator. But yes, it is starting to dry...no longer moist. Yes, it is peeping...alot!

So...it's okay to peel the membrane now? I just don't want to do it too early, but definitely don't want to do it too late. I am surprised it is drying out as it is under the hen and very hot and humid in our chicken house. It is about 85 degrees outside and I have the chicken house open for fresh air.

It that membrane is dry then start peeling. I'd run the shower very hot and peel it in there for extra humidity. Once he's out place him back under mama hen.

THanks for responding..I tried some peeling and it seemed okay...but under the thick dried part is is moist...the part right against the feathers. There is a tiny bit of blood...but just streaking. It's beak is completely out so it can move around better I would think. I am just worried if I am going to peel it too much but also worried to just let is stay in. How much can I get the chick out without causing damage? It's like the egg shell seperated from the membrane. We have had lots of chicks hatch but when they pip, they go through both shell and membrane. Like I said, part of it is sticky and seems moist but it still seems to be struggling to get out. I don't want to get it out completely but don't want it to die.

Please let me know what you think as we have never had this happen...usually our chicks are out super fast..no problems.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom