way to keep hawks out temporaly* Please don't read if you protect hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I like what haThor has said--pretty much how I see it. Raptors were here --the domestic chickens were not. Wild chickens are more savvy and yet they sometimes become dinner anyway--Mother Nature is running the show and she should be. Lots of good ideas in this thread that are legal and humane so I recommend you put aside the gun and deal with your problems in a smarter and safer way. Oh, and we have hawks, eagles, owls and falcons as well as raccoons, possum, coyotes, skunk (
sickbyc.gif
) and dogs in the suburbs in the Pacific Northwest. We just built a Fort Knox coop because its our responsibility to protect our girls. We don't have such a large area to protect and symapthize with that, however, I am currently looking into netting now for the extended summer run so that hawk can look but not touch.

I don't agree with your cavalier attitudes whatsoever. Just because the government passed the Migratory Bird Act MANY years ago, thus giving protection to ALL hawks, and has not updated since to remedy the overabundance of some of them, does not mean we as owners of chickens should have to go into hiding and not be able to protect them while they live naturally FREE RANGING. And, YES, my run and coops are built to secure their safety. See My BYC Page. It's time to change the law.

Chickens as we know them are domesticated animals. Living "naturally" is not conducive with domestication unless you're willing to follow the rules of natural selection and survival of the fittest, i.e. some getting eaten by predators. That's great your run and coop are built to secure their safety as I don't think the law is going to change (or should change) anytime soon.

Quote:
I like what haThor has said--pretty much how I see it. Raptors were here --the domestic chickens were not. Wild chickens are more savvy and yet they sometimes become dinner anyway--Mother Nature is running the show and she should be. Lots of good ideas in this thread that are legal and humane so I recommend you put aside the gun and deal with your problems in a smarter and safer way. Oh, and we have hawks, eagles, owls and falcons as well as raccoons, possum, coyotes, skunk (
sickbyc.gif
) and dogs in the suburbs in the Pacific Northwest. We just built a Fort Knox coop because its our responsibility to protect our girls. We don't have such a large area to protect and symapthize with that, however, I am currently looking into netting now for the extended summer run so that hawk can look but not touch.

I don't agree with your cavalier attitudes whatsoever. Just because the government passed the Migratory Bird Act MANY years ago, thus giving protection to ALL hawks, and has not updated since to remedy the overabundance of some of them, does not mean we as owners of chickens should have to go into hiding and not be able to protect them while they live naturally FREE RANGING. And, YES, my run and coops are built to secure their safety. See My BYC Page. It's time to change the law.

My opinion is not cavalier at all. I am an animal behaviorist and am aware that they will cull themselves once they are overabundant if we do not allow them to eat our domestic animals--as it has been for thousands of years. Who gets to change the law and chose the fittest ones that should survive? I am not egotistical enough to think I am. The survival of the fittest is the only true way it should be as they must live in the wild and evolve as nature intended. I feel my opinion is as valuable as yours or any one else's.

edited to add--Your coop is beautiful as well as your chickens! Chicken wire and lattice however are not secure against many predators--perhaps from hawks, though. I understand if you lock them indoors at night they would probably be secure at night. I do not intend on tearing your opinion apart as you are entitled to it as I am mine--hence the thread.

Last edited:
Girl Injured During School Tour

POSTED: 1:56 pm EDT April 3, 2008
UPDATED: 11:46 am EDT April 4, 2008
[EMAIL: Hawk Attacks Girl At Fenway Park] Email [PRINT: Hawk Attacks Girl At Fenway Park] Print
Bookmark and Share
BOSTON -- A red-tailed hawk attacked a girl on a tour of Fenway Park Thursday, drawing blood and sending the girl to a hospital for treatment.

Fears for children after fugitive hawk attacks joggers and kills a cat

By Nick Britten
Published: 12:01AM BST 17 Aug 2006

A hawk is terrorising a cathedral city where it has attacked two joggers and killed a pet.

Hawk Attacks Poodle
The Sacramento Bee reports that a strange event occurred at the Effie Yeaw Nature Center in Carmichael -- a hawk swooped down from the sky and snatched a woman's toy poodle. At least, that's what the woman claims:
To hear publicity coordinator Betty Cooper tell it, an employee was walking the center grounds when he was flagged down by the hysterical woman, who claimed a hawk had made off with her toy poodle.
And though it's a story straight out of the friend-of-a-friend-told-me handbook, it's not outside the realm of possibility.
The nature center does have a wild hawk population, the dog was about the size of a rabbit and there is an area adjacent to the park that's popular (though not strictly allowable) for running off-leash dogs.
"It's bizarre," Cooper said. "This is the first time I've ever heard about (something like this)."

It's actually not that uncommon for hawks to attack small dogs. I think it's usually a case of the hawk protecting its territory, rather than wanting to eat the dog. So I think the case at the Effie Yeaw Nature Center could be true.

I can post and post these reports of hawk attacks, my own MIL was rushed to the hospital from a attack where he scalp was lacerated to the bone. Should I build fort Knox and lock up my MIL to keep her safe? Should we put our children in runs? How about our puppies? It is all well and good to sing kumbaya, but there are times when it is necessary to pick up the gun. AND IT IS LEGAL!

The op is seeking legal means and when he obtains his permit hiring the sharpshooter is probably going to be more costly than the permit, but it is legal.

Quote:
OP: good luck with your permit and/or some of the other legal suggestions in this thread - I hope you find success. Walking wolf, nobody is singing Kumbaya, we are having a good discussion on predator control and also the intersection of what's wild and what's domestic - there are a range of opinions here. And yeah - we should do all we can to protect ourselves from predators (you live in a house, no?) while we're also being cognizant not to put our puppies or children (or other wildlife we share space with) in situations where they might be put at risk. Hence the talk about covered runs etc (keeps both the hawk and the chickens out of trouble).

Quote:

My opinion is not cavalier at all. I am an animal behaviorist and am aware that they will cull themselves once they are overabundant if we do not allow them to eat our domestic animals--as it has been for thousands of years. Who gets to change the law and chose the fittest ones that should survive? I am not egotistical enough to think I am. The survival of the fittest is the only true way it should be as they must live in the wild and evolve as nature intended. I feel my opinion is as valuable as yours or any one else's.

edited to add--Your coop is beautiful as well as your chickens! Chicken wire and lattice however are not secure against many predators--perhaps from hawks, though. I understand if you lock them indoors at night they would probably be secure at night. I do not intend on tearing your opinion apart as you are entitled to it as I am mine--hence the thread.

My run is 100% 1/2-inch hardware cloth. I don't have an inch of "chicken wire" or "lattice work".

regarding the person who denounced our "cavalier" attitude and closed with IT'S TIME TO CHANGE THE LAW:

perhaps you are right. we have a wonderful process whereby your local or state representative could help change that law. i admire so much the true american spirit who sees something that is unjust or unfair and works tirelessly to change people's minds and hearts so that a better law can be created.

it has been noted, however, by greater minds than mine, that simply breaking laws is not the way to change them. in fact, they often have the opposite effect, serving to make authorities feel that the law as it stands--or a stronger one--is necessary to deal with law breakers. it's funny, in a way, but i have this conversation with my 16 year old fairly often. a "bad law" isn't a license to commit a crime. it's an opportunity to help educate and persuade others to see things your way. this is the "civil" part of civilization.

oh, and i'm kind of a word/language person..."cavalier" would be thinking one can and should break laws one doesn't agree with, by the way.

Last edited:
Folks - so far, this discussion is a good one, and you all seem to be staying orderly & on topic, and following the BYC rules; thank you for that. Just wanted to pop & in state a quick reminder - tempers sometimes flare when folks speak of things they are passionate about. There are always different viewpoints & opinions; doens't make any of them wrong. Keep on topic, and carry on this good conversation!

Quote:
engaging in respectful debate--even a heated one--is not now and never will be harassment--but it might feel like it to those who want to shut a conversation down. i think this is a great thread and the free and open exchange of ideas is another hallmark of a civil society. sometimes if one is getting too frustrated it is better to step back and take a breath rather than try to shut others down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom