way to keep hawks out temporaly* Please don't read if you protect hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow... sounds like by page three ya'all are pullin your rifles out and aimin em at each other... ha ha... chill out folks..Let's keep it friendly... This is a good thread... I gotta go get some popcorn... BRB

Oh and by the way.... netting works wonders... I have them look but they cant touch... They are amazingly agile but they can't get past the nets and they know it. haven't lost a bird since I put it up.

Quote:
Only problem I see with the idea of attracting crows. I watched a crow carry away a duckling a couple of weeks ago. never realized they could be a threat to chicks before that.

Quote:
How do you think you hunt ducks, turkeys, grouse, ect? More people die from idiots shooting up in the air on new years and holidays than from hunting.

I think the above poster was referring to someone's mention of using high powered rifles to (illegally) shoot hawks. Where we hunt deer in WI (farms) we use shotgun slugs to avoid just what the above poster is talking about - it's been a no-rifle zone. And you don't hunt waterfowl/turkey/upland game with rifle - you use a shotgun. A hunters safety course will tell you to never shoot a rifle into the sky. You should be shooting down, from a tree stand, from the ground only if you know what's behind your target.

Quote:
Only problem I see with the idea of attracting crows. I watched a crow carry away a duckling a couple of weeks ago. never realized they could be a threat to chicks before that.

Yes, chicks and ducklings will always need to be in covered runs til they are big enough, agreed.

Anyone ever seen or heard of the paper wad 22 cal bullets? I used them years ago to shoot birds in my uncles barn. They can kill a bird but will not damage buildings or equipment.

Quote:
How do you think you hunt ducks, turkeys, grouse, ect? More people die from idiots shooting up in the air on new years and holidays than from hunting.

Excuse Me!! bird Hunters use shotguns, not Handguns or rifles
hmm.png
Just because I'm a hunter does not mean I'm an Idiot! Many Hunters are smart, safe people!

Quote:
I like what haThor has said--pretty much how I see it. Raptors were here --the domestic chickens were not. Wild chickens are more savvy and yet they sometimes become dinner anyway--Mother Nature is running the show and she should be. Lots of good ideas in this thread that are legal and humane so I recommend you put aside the gun and deal with your problems in a smarter and safer way. Oh, and we have hawks, eagles, owls and falcons as well as raccoons, possum, coyotes, skunk (
sickbyc.gif
) and dogs in the suburbs in the Pacific Northwest. We just built a Fort Knox coop because its our responsibility to protect our girls. We don't have such a large area to protect and symapthize with that, however, I am currently looking into netting now for the extended summer run so that hawk can look but not touch.

Quote:
I like what haThor has said--pretty much how I see it. Raptors were here --the domestic chickens were not. Wild chickens are more savvy and yet they sometimes become dinner anyway--Mother Nature is running the show and she should be. Lots of good ideas in this thread that are legal and humane so I recommend you put aside the gun and deal with your problems in a smarter and safer way. Oh, and we have hawks, eagles, owls and falcons as well as raccoons, possum, coyotes, skunk (
sickbyc.gif
) and dogs in the suburbs in the Pacific Northwest. We just built a Fort Knox coop because its our responsibility to protect our girls. We don't have such a large area to protect and symapthize with that, however, I am currently looking into netting now for the extended summer run so that hawk can look but not touch.

I don't agree with your cavalier attitudes whatsoever. Just because the government passed the Migratory Bird Act MANY years ago, thus giving protection to ALL hawks, and has not updated since to remedy the overabundance of some of them, does not mean we as owners of chickens should have to go into hiding and not be able to protect them while they live naturally FREE RANGING. And, YES, my run and coops are built to secure their safety. See My BYC Page. It's time to change the law.

Quote:
You would never get close enough to a hawk with a wad or wooden pest bullet. I don't think they even sell them anymore.

Shooting a hawk with a shotgun is also very very difficult, they dive at over 200mph, and once on the ground using a shotgun would also kill the flock from dispersed shot, or what is called reflection. It is near impossible to shoot a circling hawk as they are usually so high no shot load would reach. My years spent as a conservation officer high powered rifles was exactly how hawks were taken with a permit, but they were not shot in the air, it is also the same method game wardens use for taking a hawk after a human attack. A post 2 to 3 ft tall is put in the ground in a open field. A dead mouse or rat is stapled to the post. The hunter is then in camouflage or brush most times well more than a 100 yards and the hawk is taken while it tries to either remove the rodent or eat it on the post. No where did Joey or anybody else advocate shooting a rifle let alone a handgun into the air. Anything less than 100 yards and the hawk will not take the rodent.

I do not believe the OP wanted or intended for this back and forth, but wanted some good ideas to deter the hawks until he gets his permit. Killing a hawk without a permit is a Class B misdemeanor by federal law, internet harassment is a felony and punishable by up to 2 years. Could we please honor the OP's wishes now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom