Ways to up potein uptake by chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lobzi, May 7, 2009.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Has anyone ever fed their chickens yeast as a protein source? Do you know of any problems in doing so? Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated. I have a molting roo that is not allowing his own new feather growth to come in. He keeps eating them as they are coming in. I have been feeding him salmon cat food, lentils, and layer pellets while he is in the pen, but actually all he wants to eat is corn. It was suggested I sprinkle yeast on the corn and see if he will eat that. Again, any ideas or comments?

2. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    I found that feeding game bird feed and some cooked beef heart did wonders for getting through molting. Also I had to get them off scratch cold turkey so they would eat the higher protein foods being offered. [​IMG] It was not easy for the chickens and myself to not offer treats that were not high in protein but we got over it. [​IMG]

Now that we raising our second flock it's all about good nutrition and staying away from foods and treats that aren't high in protein and nutrients.

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Also you can boil some eggs and grate them. Chickens love it!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Boiled or scrambled eggs, cheese, yogurt, dry cat food, black oil sunflower seeds, meat; all good sources of protein.

5. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    the person who suggested cutting the lower protein treats is the right answer
    as what ever you feed in treats the birds DO NOT eat the higher protein feed that they need

I never fed yeast but some birds get a yeast infection in the gut and then need other meds

so go with the higher protein feed

also he needs some
    natural probiotics wet mash
    3 tbsp of dry crumbles
    6 tbsp of milk any kind even dried milk
    1 tbsp of yougart
    mix well and feed him this twice a day plus the higher protein feed
    always clean the wet feeder and restock dry crumbles

6. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will try getting him off the corn. It will be a hard sell.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine get much more excited about meat, fish or cheese than corn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by