Wazine 17 - How many days should the eggs not be eaten?

There is no good information on the Wazine 17 product. It doesn't say how many days they need to drink the water with the product in it, nor does it say not to eat the eggs. Does anyone know? I found poop with round worms in it.

I just gave my birds some Wazine 17. I have not used it in a while. I got some Flubenvet from the UK which is a broad spectrum wormer and has no withdrawal period so I usually use that instead. However Flubenvet is a fine powder and I am never sure they really eat it. Also, I use Rooster Booster triple action wormer occasionally. The reason I used the Wazine 17 this time was because my hens are currently not laying (two are molting and 4 have not started yet) and I thought it would be a good time to use a wormer that has a withdrawal period when it wouldn't matter. I just hate throwing out eggs. Plus, I think it is always good practice to use different anthelmintics (wormers) because worms can become resistant to the same one all the time I think. The information I finally believed is that a very sufficient time period when eggs should not be eaten is 14 days. Having said that, last year - the last time I used Wazine - I only waited 10 days and started to eat the eggs. Just couldn't stand throwing them out for the raccoons! And all of us who ate the eggs are just fine.

And the reason I started worming at all is the same as yours - I saw some round worms in droppings and realized they were going to be exposed and infested regularly as long as they have outdoor (and woods) access.

Regarding how long to use - put the Wazine 17 in the water for 24 hours and then replace the water with regular fresh water.Good luck!

I just got off the phone with Fleming Laboratories, Inc. I asked about how many days do you need to wait before you can eat the eggs from a chicken treated with Wazine 17. I was told 17 days. I asked if the eggs collected during those 17 days could be fed back to the chicken and the person I was talking to couldn't answer that question, but she said her manager could, but was on the phone at the time. I will call back to see what that answer is.

I know this is a late post, but I was looking for this information and when I saw so many guesses at the right answer I decided to contact the lab that makes it. This is the information that was given to me. The regulations on the bottle was what the FDA required them to put there. The gentleman that I spoke to said that the FDA recommends waiting until the 17th day after treatment to eat the eggs. This is not because of fear of ingesting the chemical, but that is how long they want to be sure there are no more worms left in the chicken. I treated my chickens with the Wazine 17 for 7 days and the man told me that I only had to treat the water for 1 day. The chemical does not kill the worm, it just "knocks them out" so they let go of the lining of the intestine and are flushed out when they poop. So you could see worms still being expelled for several days after treatment. He said you don't want the birds to re eat the worms or they reinfect, that is why they have them being retreated in 30 days for caged birds meant for eating because there is a higher likelihood of them eating the worms that are expelled. For the average person with a small group of hens, he said just treat the water for one day and wait 17 days to eat the eggs according to the FDA regulations. He said the medication will not hurt you if you eat the eggs sooner, but the FDA was concerned that there may be eggs, on the very rare instance, that had worms. That is why they put that time limit on them. I was concerned because I have very young grandchildren(2 and younger) and did not want them to get sick. He told me that this medication was one that had been developed in the lab for pinworms in children, but that the FDA only approved the one on the market for chickens, so he said I didn't have anything to worry about with the children eating the eggs. He said over the many years he has worked at this company he must have ingested some here and there and he is 80 years old and is still alive to tell about it! :). very nice and helpful man and put my mind at ease. I hope I did for all of you as well.
Gail

Gail,
Thanks for posting the info. That was the same info I received from the company, but I received a little less detail. I had taken our chicken to the vet and was told by him to deworm our chicken, even though he didn't see any worms. The vet said to wait 30 days before eating the eggs. So I did. Since I didn't know which egg was laid be which chicken we wasted a lot of eggs. I didn't want to eat eggs that might have the chemical in them, so the 30 day wait made sense to me.

QueenOscotts

I know this is a late post, but I was looking for this information and when I saw so many guesses at the right answer I decided to contact the lab that makes it. This is the information that was given to me. The regulations on the bottle was what the FDA required them to put there. The gentleman that I spoke to said that the FDA recommends waiting until the 17th day after treatment to eat the eggs. This is not because of fear of ingesting the chemical, but that is how long they want to be sure there are no more worms left in the chicken. I treated my chickens with the Wazine 17 for 7 days and the man told me that I only had to treat the water for 1 day. The chemical does not kill the worm, it just "knocks them out" so they let go of the lining of the intestine and are flushed out when they poop. So you could see worms still being expelled for several days after treatment.  He said you don't want the birds to re eat the worms or they reinfect, that is why they have them being retreated in 30 days for caged birds meant for eating because there is a higher likelihood of them eating the worms that are expelled. For the average person with a small group of hens, he said just treat the water for one day and wait 17 days to eat the eggs according to the FDA regulations.  He said the medication will not hurt you if you eat the eggs sooner, but the FDA was concerned that there may be eggs, on the very rare instance, that had worms. That is why they put that time limit on them. I was concerned because I have very young grandchildren(2 and younger) and did not want them to get sick.  He told me that this medication was one that had been developed in the lab for pinworms in children, but that the FDA only approved the one on the market for chickens, so he said I didn't have anything to worry about with the children eating the eggs.  He said over the many years he has worked at this company he must have ingested some here and there and he is 80 years old and is still alive to tell about it! :). very nice and helpful man and put my mind at ease.  I hope I did for all of you as well.
Gail

So the large roundworm can be transmitted from hens to humans?! I haven't found any information online that state this.... Now I'm very curious.

Just read thru this thread:

Treat in water for 24hrs
Discard water after 24hrs and give fresh water.

Retreat 14 or 30 days after to kill any larva/eggs that have hatched from first worming

Discard eggs 14-17 days

Back
Top Bottom