Wazine and Corid

sa222

Hatching
Nov 14, 2016
Hello everyone. I'm quite new to the site.
Is it ok to treat hens (they're about 2.5-3years old) with Wazine and Corid? (I wish I knew about Valbazen before I purchased the Wazine, but I can't plunk down any more $ on more meds). This would be the 1st time we're deworming them. They also tested positive for coccidiosis.
Is it okay to use Wazine for one day, then Corid the day after? Do I need to give their bodies a break in-between treatments?
Thanks in advance!

Are you seeing any sick birds and what are the symptoms? Did the vet say that there was a significant amount of coccidia in the droppings in the fecal float? Were there worms present? If there is an active outbreak of coccidiosis, then that should be treated for first for 5 days with Corid (amprollium.) Wazine or Wazine17 will treat only roundworms, the most common chicken worm, but won't touch the other ones. Valbazen or fenbendazole (SafeGuard, Panacur) are good for treating all or most other worms. Post back here if you need dosages for Corid, Wazine or the others.

We sent a hen for necropsy and her results were: upper respiratory infection & coccidiosis.
The vet advised me to treat the rest of the flock for URI and coccidiosis.
I gave them Denagard in their water daily for 5 days. That was a week ago.
I'm deworming them because I saw worms in their feces, and the fact that I never dewormed them (honestly, I had no idea that I'm supposed to do that as a preventative measure).

So after researching further, these are the appropriate dosing for each medication?
Jan. 24th:
Wazine 17: 1 fluid ounce per 1 gallon of water
Jan 25th:
Corid: (treatment) 8ml per gallon of water for 5 days
Feb. 2nd:
Wazine: 2nd dose
Corid: (follow-up) 4ml per gallon of water for 7 days
Egg withdrawal from Jan 24th - Feb 15th?

Did that make sense?

The dose for Corid is

*The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 1/3 teaspoon/gallon.
*The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 1/2 teaspoon/gallon.

*The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 3/4 teaspoon/gallon.
*The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 1 teaspoon/gallon.

*The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 1.5 teaspoons/gallon.
*The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 2 teaspoon/gallon.

For 7-14 days

I would highly advise you not to use Wazine.Why not just use a broad spectrum wormer such as Pancur,Safeguard,Valbazen ect.Sick birds will not drink as much thats why its good to use a wormer that goes in orally.Do you have a picture of the poop?Are you sure it was roundworms.The wormers listed are around 15-20$

Last edited:
Thanks! Would you happen to have a link for the valbazen? Amazon only has the large container.

I would probably use the Corid first for 5 days. Since you have the Wazine, I would use it after the Corid treatment,since you have seen roundworms in their droppings, and other worms will not be easy to see without a microscope. I would give 10 ml of Corid per gallon of water. Then, after the Wazine, give a few days of vitamins and a little plain yogurt for probiotics in their feed. Wazine can be used again in 4 weeks according to the label. The second round of the Corid is optional, but since you had a hen die from that, you could give it. The probiotics and a little B Complex or poultry vitamins are good to use after any intestinal medicine.
I agree with MOC that Valbazen (or fenbendazole) is much better to use if other worms are present. A fecal float on some fresh droppings would indicate other worms. Maybe next time you worm you could get one of those, or return the Wazine for a refund.

Thank you so much!
The reason I'm so hesitant to get another dewormer is my post office has managed to lose 2 of my packages containing the chicken meds. I've had to re-order them. So I'm pretty much shelling out money for nothing. So frustrating, but that's another issue.
Thanks so much for replying :)

Thanks! Would you happen to have a link for the valbazen? Amazon only has the large container.
If they have Roundworms you can use Wazine.But for a preventative measure i would buy safeguard or pancur they are easier to find in stores.They should be at your local feed store.They are labeled under horses or goats but you can still use them for chickens.These are the ones that i use.

merck-ah-cattle-d-069292-001-809793-safeguard-wormer-suspension_1303690.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom