Wazine Dosage for a Small Flock??

NormansGal44

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
I have two EE hens, 1 BSL hen, 1 Welsummer pullet (13 wks), 1 BR pullet (13 wks) and 1 Welsummer cockerel (13 wks). I found worms in one of their feces earlier this week and also found out that our cat has hookworms. So, I need help figuring out dosages for Wazine. I obviously do not have anywhere near 100 chickens and am unclear how to reduce the dosage. Also, for how long afterwards do I need to discard their eggs?

Also, do I need to deworm my six week old chicks that are inside and have only been outside a few times?

Thanks in advance!

I have two EE hens, 1 BSL hen, 1 Welsummer pullet (13 wks), 1 BR pullet (13 wks) and 1 Welsummer cockerel (13 wks). I found worms in one of their feces earlier this week and also found out that our cat has hookworms. So, I need help figuring out dosages for Wazine. I obviously do not have anywhere near 100 chickens and am unclear how to reduce the dosage. Also, for how long afterwards do I need to discard their eggs?

Also, do I need to deworm my six week old chicks that are inside and have only been outside a few times?

Thanks in advance!

I would wait on the chicks but as far as the rest of the flock just follow the directions on the bottle and make a gallon. You will have to re-dose in ten days anyway. I take all their water away except the one with the wormer and leave it for the day,that way they all get dosed. I put the remainder in the egg fridge and clearly marked.
As far as egg discard it depends who you ask, some people will eat them as Wazine is used for humans with worms. Although it says not to use on egg layers but I have eaten eggs from chickens treated with it, I am still alive and they tasted fine. I usually wait about a week before consumption.

I worm all my chickens at the same time (So there's no mix ups). I worm my chicks (just in case) at one month.

Here's the dosage I give my chickens:

1oz of Wazine 17 per US gallon.

They should drink only the Wazine for 24 hours. Rinse out the waterer and put fresh plain water in (day 2). After 10 days of plain water, re-dose them for another 24 hours. Then fill with plain fresh water.

I wouldn't sell the eggs until 14 days after the last dosage.

Good Luck

Last edited:
I worm all my chickens at the same time (So there's no mix ups). I worm my chicks (just in case) at one month.

Here's the dosage I give my chickens:

1oz of Wazine 17 per US gallon.

They should drink only the Wazine for 24 hours. Rinse out the waterer and put fresh plain water in (day 2). After 10 days of plain water, re-dose them for another 24 hours. Then fill with plain fresh water.

I wouldn't sell the eggs until 14 days after the last dosage.

Good Luck
x2 The dosage is universal for 13 weeks old birds or adult birds.

I know this is an old thread, but after you retreat them on day 10, do you have to treat them again? Or should the 2 treatments be enough to kill the worms? What about the larve? Will the wazine kill them also?

Piprazine only kills adult worms in the gut, not migrating larva, which is why the two treatments are best. It's no longer on the approved list for treating laying hens, but nothing else is either! I've use Ivermectin very occasionally when absolutely necessary, also not approved, although it's been a couple of years since I've done it. There's not a good choice sometimes, although a small worm burden isn't likely to be a serious problem for that hen. Hope you've got your cat on a good product, though. Mary

Back
Top Bottom