We adopted a Buff Orp - eats like crazy but she won't drink!

cocoloco

Songster
5 Years
May 31, 2016
Hello Everyone - My husband went out antiquing the other day and brought home a buff Orpington! We always wanted a golden/yellow colored hen to add to our multicolored flock! We have her inside and plan to slowly integrate her after we make sure she is healthy. She is eating everything - but won't drink out of any container we put in front of her - including our 5 gal. plastic flock waterer. My husband said the farmer who gave her to us just filled a big black bucket with water for his chickens - that's what she is used to. I have been giving her watermelon for 2 days, in lieu of water, and , last night, I gave her 3 baby droppers of water, She is doing fine, but I would really love to see her drink normally. Looks like I will have to go out and buy a big black bucket. Any suggestions?

Hello Everyone - My husband went out antiquing the other day and brought home a buff Orpington! We always wanted a golden/yellow colored hen to add to our multicolored flock! We have her inside and plan to slowly integrate her after we make sure she is healthy. She is eating everything - but won't drink out of any container we put in front of her - including our 5 gal. plastic flock waterer. My husband said the farmer who gave her to us just filled a big black bucket with water for his chickens - that's what she is used to. I have been giving her watermelon for 2 days, in lieu of water, and , last night, I gave her 3 baby droppers of water, She is doing fine, but I would really love to see her drink normally. Looks like I will have to go out and buy a big black bucket. Any suggestions?

You could monitor her intake and her poops to make sure all is well, and keep with the items you already have on hand. Once she is within sight of the flock, she will see what they are doing and where they are getting water, and she will likely follow their example. Also, you could sprinkle some seeds - particularly small black seeds (quinoa or sesame seed comes to mind) to get her attention - she will likely investigate and discover water! Good Luck!

If you have her in a small enough space 4x4 or so with water and food. She will find the water. Might help to do the same as little chicks and dip her beak in the water source. Put it this way if she makes it 3 days she has found the water.

Back
Top Bottom