We are back on the subject of Prolapse!

LinLin

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 6, 2013
Good Morning!

I am the very proud keeper of two beautiful Chickens. They both ginger nut rangers called Suzie and Peggie who are both adorable to look after. My reasoning for joining your very informative site was yesterday to my horror Suzie suffered from a prolapsed vent. It was such a shock to see. Over the phone an avian vet talked me through what to do which involved a rubber glove, vaseline and quite a bit of bravery! Not for the faint hearted but when it's your beloved pet - I guess you will do anything no matter how horrible!

The vet told me in the commercial world, chickens are routinely culled who prolapse. But my Suzie is not a commercial hen she is doted on and free ranges happily all day. She is just over a year old, she isn't fat and has never layed oversize eggs. I'm super careful with her diet - it's a mix of layer pellets, fresh fruit and veg and of course she forages all day. I know a lack of calcium can bring prolapse on too.

So far today, she has rather tentatively managed to poop and layed her egg. And touch wood everything retracted and went back into place!

Whist I am aware there is an existing thread on the subject I'd be interested to hear from others who have experienced the same.

Vet gave a bit of a grim prognosis, stating once a chicken prolapses they are super vulnerable to it repeating itself!

Any advise, opinions, tips etc would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Lindsay

Greetings from Kansas LinLin, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Glad your hen is doing better! You might post in this thread for additional information. Best wishes!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

An unbelievable two days! Two hours ago I experienced my first fox attack on my other gorgeous hen Peggy. It happened right under my nose- feathers everywhere! Sheer adrenaline got me over the back fence which caused the fox to drop her and allowed me to rescue her.

We seeing another emergency vet at 5pm. What with prolapse yesterday and an attack today! Suzie in the run and not happy!

We just back from a brilliant vet who said no broken bones just two horrible puncture wounds to the neck. She in deep shock and he gave her a steroid antibiotic.

She on a blanket on the sofa! My other hen Suzie is going stair crazy in the run.

What do you guys suggest about Mr Fox? He really took me by surprise after months of trouble free -free ranging.

Happy Houdan - thanks for reply. Has your hen fully recovered now and did you have to go through the procedure I went through? Interested to know what happens after the initial prolapse and nursy bit.

Back
Top Bottom