We are trying to figure out what they are.

Sattler

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2021
We have 4 chickens that we are trying to figure out their breed. We were thinking white Wyandottes but my identifier says Sussex or leg horn (25% sure)

Attachments

• 20210826_133622.jpg
    20210826_133622.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210826_133028.jpg
    20210826_133028.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210826_132954.jpg
    20210826_132954.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210826_133010.jpg
    20210826_133010.jpg
    690.1 KB · Views: 6
We have 4 chickens that we are trying to figure out their breed. We were thinking white Wyandottes but my identifier says Sussex or leg horn (25% sure)
They are Cornish X common factory chicken I have them too plan on crossing them with brahmas. Your chickens are still young in that image the roosters will grow as big as a brhama within 2 years with proper care and feed. Used to have one that got huge and started chasing neighbors and pedestrians around town...

They are Cornish X common factory chicken I have them too plan on crossing them with brahmas. Your chickens are still young in that image the roosters will grow as big as a brhama within 2 years with proper care and feed. Used to have one that got huge and started chasing neighbors and pedestrians around town...
Probably not, because Cornish Cross are all white, and those are not. The first has some black bits in the feathers (likely a Delaware or some hybrid that includes Delaware), the third has red in the shoulders (likely a Red Sexlink male or an Amberlink male), the second and fourth have some yellowish shades (likely Amberlink or some other egg-type hybrid.)

Also, those are too skinny to be Cornish Cross, because Cornish Cross are really wide and meaty.

Probably not, because Cornish Cross are all white, and those are not. The first has some black bits in the feathers (likely a Delaware), the third has red in the shoulders (likely a Red Sexlink male or an Amberlink male), the second and fourth have some yellowish shades (likely Amberlink or some other egg-type hybrid.)

Also, those are too skinny to be Cornish Cross, because Cornish Cross are really wide and meaty.
Factory Cornish are white because they’re less than 60 days old. So their true colors don’t fully develop. If raised like ordinary pet or farm chickens they take 2 to fully develop and the roosters will develop brown and light yellow/golden color patterns around the neck and back area. The body structure of factory raised Cornish is genetic but the genetic mutation is greatly amplified by the drugs and high fat diet. I’ve actually tested this on other common skinny breeds and they too will develop quickly and get stocky and bulky like factory Cornish with the drugs and diet. But I definitely don’t recommend this for breeders or those who want pets. Since the diet will kill 90% of them after 1 year max since it overworks their organs and slowly kills them despite how meaty they get.

They are not. Their body type is not the same as a Cornish X. They are mixed breeds, potentially the specific mix called an Amberlink

Those aren't Cornish X.

Cornish X are either white, or red.

There's also ranger broilers that are mixed colored, & or barred. Those are also very wide bodied, which these birds are not.

Those aren't Cornish X.

Cornish X are either white, or red.

There's also ranger broilers that are mixed colored, & or barred. Those are also very wide bodied, which these birds are not.
The ones you speak of are factory reared none of them are true adults. A rooster takes 5 months to develop its true color patterns and 1 year to finish the process. This is why black brahmas are very expensive because 9 male chicks out of 10 won’t be pure black after they reach 1 year of age and will develop golden/white color patterns on back and neck. Despite how pure the flock may be.

Back
Top Bottom