We did a thing.. expanding the flock!

Beautiful birds! I would love to add them to our flock:love
I’d recommend them, even as a newb.. they are SO chill. She’s laying consistently, he’s a perfect gentleman. She’s on her fifth egg today and they keep getting more sheen, saturation and brightness.. I can’t wait til I can incubate our Araucanas and hand raise them in hopes of them being less flighty. They’re good once you get em, but they’re not ones to come want a cuddle lol this is how she’s been progressing with her eggs.. keep in mind, I’m a decently brown man lol
565E13DE-52CF-46E9-8ECD-731547429B75.jpeg
B23F6267-18FC-4B39-BB89-4B219DCD3153.jpeg

Very nice birds and a nice increase in egg size and color. I'd be tempted to raise some pure Marans before adding the pullet to the olive egger project. Good luck in your endeavors.

Very nice birds and a nice increase in egg size and color. I'd be tempted to raise some pure Marans before adding the pullet to the olive egger project. Good luck in your endeavors.
Thank you! Yeah, that’s totally the plan.. I want to incubate a dozen or two.. get my Marans numbers up to 1:9.. THEN start the olive adventure :D shame patience is my worst attribute lol.. gotta do it right though

Congrats!!! Exciting new birds and super exciting you have a baby on the way!

are you on Instagram? There’s a few really incredible Olive egger breeders on Insta that talk a lot about their preferred methods of breeding (brown egg cocks vs blue egg cocks vs OExOEs) and what each one yields for them, and why they pick the breeding plans they use for various generations. You can find them searching hashtags like #oliveegger #eggenvy #rainboweggs. A couple of my favorites are @thefourteenacres and @theoliveeggfarm.

Congrats!!! Exciting new birds and super exciting you have a baby on the way!

are you on Instagram? There’s a few really incredible Olive egger breeders on Insta that talk a lot about their preferred methods of breeding (brown egg cocks vs blue egg cocks vs OExOEs) and what each one yields for them, and why they pick the breeding plans they use for various generations. You can find them searching hashtags like #oliveegger #eggenvy #rainboweggs. A couple of my favorites are @thefourteenacres and @theoliveeggfarm.
Awesome! This will be really helpful, cheers! We do follow 14acres but I’ll have to check on theoliveeggfarm.. DONT think we do.. I’ll get form that! Lol

So, let me start by saying in Australia.. it tends to be harder to get pure bred chickens that meet the SOP especially where we’re located.. We have our 7 Araucana and it’s always been the plan to find some Marans and bring in deep brown eggs and eventually olive eggers. I was looking on Gumtree (kinda like Craigslist for Australia) and I found a breeding pair for $150.. And yes, I paid it and drove 6 hours total to get them lol Here’s the best part.. these Marans are from basically the MARANS MAN, out here in Australia. The breeder I got them from had been trying to get eggs off of the man, Phil Irwin, for 5 years she said and her pair directly from him cost her double what I paid!! And he’s only sold his line to one other person. He took twelve birds into the last show and walked out with something like 27 awards! So basically, in my flock.. I’ve got the best Marans you can find out here!! And she said these hatched out of eggs that were like conservatively 7/8s on the egg scale for darkness! So let me stop wasting your time and introduce you to Haan and Kip (rooster and chicken in Dutch)
How exciting for you! I was just looking at Marans today and wondering if I'd like a couple. This dark eggs are sure an enticement. Your new babies are beautiful. Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom