we didnt learn our lesson the first time

Granny Hatchet

Tastes like chicken
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Sep 26, 2013
madison Indiana
hi all, my bestest most beautiful rooster got to join the flock a few days ago. until one of the babies pecked him in the eye that is. i put him in the brooder with a heat lamp and the next morning he had stuck his top hat in the light and burned a lot of it off. lesson learned right? nope , went to feed this morning and he had done it again. bad this time. whole barn smells like singed hair. i was wondering if aloe plant would be best? i moved him of course to a larger cage. my beautiful tolbunt frizzle polish. i hope it will grow back.
hit.gif
should of moved him yesterday.

lau.gif
i dont think it, i know he is. he is afraid of heights, wont climb a closed ladder to roost, and wont umm, dance. i have a very short perch for babies about 4 in. off the floor and he could step over if he wanted to, nope ! he walks around. lol

Probably not a case of him being stupid,but rather heat lamp is too low to accommodate his size. If he is standing up and heat lamp is touching his crest,well it is going to get singed,not his fault.

lau.gif
i dont think it, i know he is. he is afraid of heights, wont climb a closed ladder to roost, and wont umm, dance. i have a very short perch for babies about 4 in. off the floor and he could step over if he wanted to, nope ! he walks around. lol
Does he have a large crest? Could be that his crest is obstructing his vision. Some of my silkies have similar issues,i just trim feathers around eyes.

he has no crest now. lol yes, i had him in too small a cage. i moved him to a larger one. i had trimmed his crest already. i do the same to my silkies. even my dog. they all have mohawks. wish it wouldnt grow back so fast though. i have one that i have to trim about every other month. i didnt think they would do that until molt but they do

SPAZZ, thats the roosters name. poor ol guy. his eye is looking bad so he might be blind in it. no swelling just very red and looks like a cataract..can see part of lid with injury too so not sick. as i had him down today putting ointment on his eye, i think i discovered why he wont "dance". there was a wad of poop as big as a golf ball stuck in his feathers.
lau.gif
my husband held him while i cut and well, lets just say i am not on my dh list of favorite people right now.butter fingers. hahahah

Back
Top Bottom