We found one of our birds dead this morning, grieving cockerel

Chickens&Ducks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 5, 2011
Virginia
We found one of our birds dead this morning. We have no idea what happened. I wasn't really out with them yesterday as I've been sick for the last few days. She went into the coop herself last night and my husband said she didn't look injured. I have no clue where to start to figure out what happened. He said that she looked to have died in her sleep.

My cockerel hasn't crowed all morning. Is this normal when he looses a pullet? Should I be concerned about my other birds? The eggs? What do I do next?

Chickens&Ducks :

We found one of our birds dead this morning. We have no idea what happened. I wasn't really out with them yesterday as I've been sick for the last few days. She went into the coop herself last night and my husband said she didn't look injured. I have no clue where to start to figure out what happened. He said that she looked to have died in her sleep.

My cockerel hasn't crowed all morning. Is this normal when he looses a pullet? Should I be concerned about my other birds? The eggs? What do I do next?

There's no telling what couldve caused her death. Sometimes these things happen without warning. I think the only thing you can do now is closely observe your flock for abnormalties. Toss some treats out there and see if they come running and acting like chickens should, including your rooster. If they are eating and drinking normally, I wouldnt worry too much. You might inspect them for lice/mites just to be sure. Sorry for your loss.​

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice and sympathy. My husband has read that it could've been anything from her falling/getting knocked over while sleeping to a heart attack. I'm truly hoping it's just a freak accident or something personal to that bird, but time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom