We got a Rooster!

Handsome rooster, leighks; look at that gorgeous face! Keeping a rooster is like having a dog. Only, dogs have teeth and roosters have beaks. This is how they instinctively know the world around them. Dogs too, will bite when pups. But, we don't put them in a pot for dinner! We work with the animal by socializing it and then, making it part of our pack by teaching it key words and phrases that have meaning, and give reward. Same process with roosters - socialize, train with patience and reward. Only then will it become part of your flock, or family as we humans call it. Also, your chickens can feel your emotional energy. So be calm, talk in calm tones and move slowly when in their environment. Remember, unlike dogs, they are prey animals. Of course, this is the process when raising from chicks. Full grown roosters? It depends on where it came from.

Thanks Hen Pen Jem, he’s my pride and joy! I have always treated him the same as the pullets, and I got them at around 4 days old. He's actually gentler than the girls when taking food from me- I almost lose a finger when passing out blueberries with them, but he takes it nicely- if at all- and more often then not he gives it to one of the girls. He’s good with everyone he has met, and I’m thrilled to have him as head of the flock.

How fun! My neighbours rooster also loves to be snuggled. We purposely snuggled him since they got him at 3 months and now he's full grown and the sweetest thing ever. It doesn't work for all roosters though. How old is the roo you just got?
we've had him since June 19 when he and the New Hampshire Reds were 6 wks old. Martha is 4 wks younger than the others so she was 2 wks old. Here are some pictures of Marty. I have to get some pictures of Martha.

Attachments

• IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1681.JPG
    IMG_1681.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1675.JPG
    IMG_1675.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Marty Running.JPG
    Marty Running.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 3
Handsome rooster, leighks; look at that gorgeous face! Keeping a rooster is like having a dog. Only, dogs have teeth and roosters have beaks. This is how they instinctively know the world around them. Dogs too, will bite when pups. But, we don't put them in a pot for dinner! We work with the animal by socializing it and then, making it part of our pack by teaching it key words and phrases that have meaning, and give reward. Same process with roosters - socialize, train with patience and reward. Only then will it become part of your flock, or family as we humans call it. Also, your chickens can feel your emotional energy. So be calm, talk in calm tones and move slowly when in their environment. Remember, unlike dogs, they are prey animals. Of course, this is the process when raising from chicks. Full grown roosters? It depends on where it came from.

I absolutely agree with you. I notice I set the tone and my roo's take my lead. If they are squawking because they sense something, all I have to do is walk to their area and in an even tone say "boys, everythings ok." I say it a few times and all is quiet. Unless, similar to when children are in a full blown fit, they won't listen, I have to let them get over themselves. That doesn't happen too often though. Matter of fact I did it this morning. I heard a commotion outside and I am thinking, what got the boys going. I went outdoors to investigate. It was the girls. A hen must have been in a nesting box that another hen wanted. The hen was upset and doing her dissatisfaction squawk. The boys only know the hen is upset and they are reacting. I went to the window of their coop and said boys, what's going on? They settled down readily.

I feel roo's get a bad rap. I don't hate on anyone that use roo's for the sole purpose of poultry. Heck, I eat chicken everyday....just not my own. I can't cull them. That's just me. On the other hand, to those that don't put in the effort to understand their roo's are missing out on what they offer to the experience of chicken keeping. My impression has always been my girls don't have that neediness of me, whereas, my boys have a need of exceptance by me.

As a first time chicken keeper I didn’t plan on getting a cockerel, but I’m glad I ended up with one, and would always want a rooster with my flock.

I have worked as a vet tech for 18 years, and have experience with all sorts of animals- both nice and aggressive. In all that time, I’ve never been attacked or viciously bit. I think it’s all about body language and having a confident attitude. I HAVE done all the things that some say you are not supposed to do with a cockerel/ rooster: feed him from my hand, let him sit on my lap, walk around him if he’s in the way, “allow” him to mate in front of me, etc. I have NOT done any of the things some people say you are supposed to do with them: pin him down, put him on his back, carry him around for long periods of time against his will, etc. When he seems me coming, I want him to think “yay it’s the treat lady” not “uh oh, it’s the mean lady that challenges me, I have to defend myself!”

I have worked at a zoo and with police dogs, and the training methods they employ for those animals are the ones that work for a huge majority in animals (including people!)- positive reinforcement and food motivation. Acting aggressively toward an animal often causes the animal to act aggressively back. Challenge begets a challenge. Roosters have been selectively breed by humans for cock fighting, so sure there are roosters with aggressive tendencies. But not all (or even most) of them, and for many it’s in how they are treated. How many roosters have been labeled “mean” when they are just reacting to the body language of a person who perceives him that way?

I’m sure some will disagree about positive training, but my rooster is a rockstar and I’m happy to say he’s a goodwill ambassador for roosters everywhere.

You are right. Roosters do need more attention and direction from their keeper. Scientists are just now discovering how intelligent chickens are. There are many articles online about this. Yes, people who don't interact with their roosters are missing out. But there are differences in the way chicken keepers look at their birds. Some are livestock, destined for the table at some point. That's OK with me cause I do eat chicken too. And some are pets with a job. My hens make eggs; and my rooster? Well, I keep him cause he has found a place in my heart, along with my 9 hens, 3 cats, dog and 3 goldfish! As long as keepers take proper care of their animals. That's what is important.

You would probably enjoy a website called, United Poultry Concerns. They have an interesting outlook on chickens.

Back
Top Bottom