we got eggs!

stargazingmommy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane
We went camping this weekend. Left Friday, came home Saturday afternoon to check the birds, nothing. Got home an hour ago to find THREE eggs. One in the rocks around the pool, two in their house.
The eggs likely weren't thrlere more than a day and a half. How long can the sit out before being unusable? Its been mid to high 80s.

090511101022.jpg

Congratulations! Pretty exciting to find your first eggs. Our hen laid one a week or so ago, on a day when it was above 80 degrees here (Seattle - rare this year). It was in the duck house until about 5 pm. She managed to "hide" it under the bedding somehow. We did not eat it. Haven't cracked it open either, but that;s too much time above 80 for me to be comfortable eating it.

Would be interested to hear what common opinion - or at least more duck educated opinion would be on the subject.

I stuck them all in the fridge for now. The duck house is an insulated dogloo in the shade so wasn't overly hot inside. The one I worry most about is what we think is the first, that was laying in the rocks.

And a hi from the other side of the state!!

Hi back from the Western part of the state!
frow.gif
Any clue what kind of duck laid the huge egg? I only have a Magpie hen that is laying, and her eggs are only a little bigger than chicken eggs.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom