Leg injury + other symptoms

freckledfairy

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2023
South Carolina
Hi!

I need some help figuring out how to support my sweet girl. Friday night, when we went to put our girls up for bed, Florence was laying in the coop, and did not get up to greet us like normal. Upon further encouragement, she didn’t get up either. 2 hours earlier she was just fine and herself. We took her inside, and she wouldn’t stand on her right leg. She let me stretch it out to look it over, and didn’t jerk it away when I touched it. Her foot is curled up.

Saturday she wasn’t interested in breakfast, and wasn’t pooping very often. She’s only been pooping every ~ 2 hours, and it’s 80% clear liquid with a tiny bit of green poo.

She’s also extremely quiet, which she is usually not. She’s 21 weeks old and so I thought she may be eggbound with her first egg and it was maybe pressing on a nerve.

Saturday afternoon I was just getting nervous so I called our Cat&dog vet. They have urgent/weekend hours whereas our farm/avian vet does not. Our vet used to have chickens and were not busy so they agreed to see us. We knew we probably wouldn’t get true diagnostics but at least we could check for a fracture. They took x rays and they came back clean. No obvious break, no egg. They prescribed a low dose of meloxicam to hold her over, and sent us home.

Once we were home Saturday afternoon she was in better spirits. She was a tiny bit chatty and even ate some.

No changes today, still pretty quiet, not bearing weight on that right side, only pooping every few hours. It’s really throwing me for a loop because I’ve never read anything linking an presumed injury to bowel issues. Anyone have any thoughts??

Attachments

• IMG_7063.jpeg
    IMG_7063.jpeg
    465.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7116.jpeg
    IMG_7116.jpeg
    546.7 KB · Views: 3
If she isn’t eating much, she isn’t going to be pooping much so that wouldn’t worry me as much.

For her leg, I would fill the bathtub a couple times a day and give her swim therapy. Toss in floating food like lettuce and mealworms for an extra treat.

Do you have a drake? Drakes can accidentally injure the girls mating on land.

Back
Top Bottom