Confused! Eggbound

Remy00

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2023
I’ve noticed my girl sometimes acts like she’s going to lay her egg she does all the same things she would do when she gets ready to lay fix her next, she makes certain sounds, lays down and nothing comes I noticed this Friday. I felt under there and I can feel and egg we don’t see one but can feel it if we rub between her legs so I started epsom salt baths since Friday I also gave her one tums crushed on some mealworms we continued the epsom salt bath on Saturday I felt around again and still feel the egg sometimes it moves I also rubbed a little olive oil on her vent. She’s her normal self eating,drinking,pooping following us around so I’m a little confused I don’t want nothing to happen to her. Do yall think she is eggbound? should I leave her alone and just see what happens? Don’t do anymore baths? She’s not puffed up, her tail isn’t down, there’s no egg showing or stuck when we move her feathers out the way, she’s not hunched or straining like I said she’s her normal self.

this time of year with the days getting shorter, my ducks are laying less eggs it could just be that or if she is egg bound you can give her liquid calcium gluconate one ML per day or a calcium citrate tablet orally, the calcium stimulates them to lay the egg. What do you feed her? Does she have oyster shells on the side of her regular food? i would not use olive oil on her vent I once used olive oil on a duck to get the sticky residue from ducktape off from a ducks wings wings(long story) the other ducks shunned her for a year after that i think they hated the smell of olive oil . if you must use oil coconut is better

this time of year with the days getting shorter, my ducks are laying less eggs it could just be that or if she is egg bound you can give her liquid calcium gluconate one ML per day or a calcium citrate tablet orally, the calcium stimulates them to lay the egg. What do you feed her? Does she have oyster shells on the side of her regular food? i would not use olive oil on her vent I once used olive oil on a duck to get the sticky residue from ducktape off from a ducks wings wings(long story) the other ducks shunned her for a year after that i think they hated the smell of olive oil . if you must use oil coconut is better
Thank you! I feed her Kalmbach duck and goose food and yes she has a bowl of oyster shells next to it. Do I give 1 tums tablet a day? I only have her right now our boy passed last Sunday(it’s a week today) I did everything I could to save him Im so devastated he wasn’t himself and I took him to the vet the xrays showed he ate some metal I took him to another vet that had the medicine to help bind the metal he stayed over night that Friday and I picked him up Saturday with his meds and critical care and he passed Sunday morning. I’m looking for somewhere where u can get her another friend. I’m just worried about her right now so since we feel the egg should I continue with the bath and give her the tums or leave her alone and see if she tries to pass it I’m scared that it will get stuck and she’ll be hunched and tail down and all swollen. I’m sorry for all the questions I’m new to this we had got them as babies my dad brought them and gave them to my son in January of this year. I know some folks will probably say I should’ve researched before I got them but they were just given to us soon as I got them I joined duck groups on FB including this one.
Oh and she’s never alone she goes all around the house with me and always has someone with her they are house ducks and she’s still a house duck

You can give her more Tums like you did already in the mealworms. You don't need to use Epsom salts just nice warm bath water if you feel an egg. But from all you have said it doesn't sound like she is egg-bound. Won't hurt to give more tums though. But when you can I'd pick up calcium gluconate it is the best in the world for getting stuck egg moving.
:welcome
Very sorry for your loss. Have you looked on your state forum for another duck we also have a rehoming forum and a buy sell trade forum just keep scrolling. But for your state forum you want "Where am I where are you"

You can give her more Tums like you did already in the mealworms. You don't need to use Epsom salts just nice warm bath water if you feel an egg. But from all you have said it doesn't sound like she is egg-bound. Won't hurt to give more tums though. But when you can I'd pick up calcium gluconate it is the best in the world for getting stuck egg moving.
:welcome
Very sorry for your loss. Have you looked on your state forum for another duck we also have a rehoming forum and a buy sell trade forum just keep scrolling. But for your state forum you want "Where am I where are you"
Thank you so much I miss him so bad😭. I will add the calcium gluconate to my ducky first aid kit. Is it normal to feel the egg down below between her legs I guess it’s in her “bottom” (hope I’m describing it right) I was thinking maybe it’s just ready to come out I will check out those forums you mentioned also. But she is her normal self so that’s keeping me hopeful she’s not egg bound like you said.

I bet you do they just become a part of our hearts. Yes usually when an egg is getting close to being laid and its low you can sometimes feel them. When my Muscovy was egg bound she was off by herself just laying around not having any food or having anything to do with the flock so from what you have described with yours it doesn't sound like she is egg bound but I would treat her as such since you did feel an egg. Just with her still acting normal doesn't sound eggbound. What your doing by giving her more calcium though won't hurt her and if she does need to lay the calcium will help.

keep us updated.

I bet you do they just become a part of our hearts. Yes usually when an egg is getting close to being laid and its low you can sometimes feel them. When my Muscovy was egg bound she was off by herself just laying around not having any food or having anything to do with the flock so from what you have described with yours it doesn't sound like she is egg bound but I would treat her as such since you did feel an egg. Just with her still acting normal doesn't sound eggbound. What your doing by giving her more calcium though won't hurt her and if she does need to lay the calcium will help.

keep us updated.
They sure do and thank you again I will give her a tums since that’s all I have right now and I will keep y'all updated.

Back
Top Bottom