We have a baby dove!!

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I can't get pics yet because the other egg still hasn't hatched, but I noticed mom still on the nest at around 1 pm today and thought that was kind of odd. She was also 'standing' in the nest as opposed to setting all snuggled in it or standing at the front of the cage like she's starving...which is what she's usually doing in the middle of the day
hmm.png
. So I looked closer and saw a teeny tiny wing move out from under her!
wee.gif
Here's hoping the other one hatches, but at least I have 1
ya.gif
I wish the bands I ordered 2 WEEKS AGO would get here already!
barnie.gif

Okay, it looks like we have 2 baby doves...each pair has their own baby. The first baby already has its eyes open (and my stinking bands are STILL not here!) and the eyes are so freaky!
ep.gif
They are almost like little holes in the head, very weird!
lol.png
If I remember to take my camera out tomorrow I'll get pics of the new babies.
smile.png

Don't worry, the time period for banding doves is a little bigger, if I remember right. Their little feet don't seem to grow as big as fast. It always seems like forever until I get to band mine.

Quote:
John Fowler of the ADA said that this year's bands are bigger than last so I should be able to put them on later. Normally it says at age 5-7 days...so hopefully they are a lot bigger than normal because I'm pretty sure my first baby is about 5 days old.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Well lucky me, I still haven't received my bands
hmm.png
Guess these little ones just won't be getting them. Hopefully I will get the bands soon, before the pairs decide to start a new brood
hide.gif

Here are the baby pics, both pairs ended up hatching 1 baby. This is the baby belonging to my pair of blondes.
DSC00781.jpg

Mom and dad:
DSC00736.jpg

And this is the baby belonging to my blond/pied pair.
DSC00783.jpg

Anyone like to explain how I have a white baby from 2 non-white parents?? Mom and dad:
DSC00737.jpg

The pigeons also have 1 baby (you may have seen my 'oh no' thread) but since it's been through quite an ordeal, I think I'll give it a while before its photo shoot
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom