we have a possibly egg bound duck with an unclear xray. Anyone have any ideas? xray posted.

Morning! My girl is much more active today than she has been. NOT happy with me squirting the antibiotics into her mouth but I decided that is definitely the best way instead of trying to "trick" her into eating them with food she likes. She was mad at me after and wouldn't accept the apology treats from me, but did eat them later. Saw her poo this morning -- it is liquid but a good amount. Not seeing her eat the regular feed yet but hopefully she will soon.

@MysteryChicken @buffy-the-eggpile-layer get a chance to see the crazy egg monstrosity that she passed? I am guessing she feels better with that out of her.

She has been on meloxicam since the beginning of us noticing her symptoms! We get the antibiotics which I tried to hide in her food and she totally rejected, so I'll have to figure out how to best syringe it down her throat.

HOWEVER, we believe she passed THIS incredibly gross thing this afternoon. After which, she did seem to have some more energy and was much more active. To me, it looks like egg shell material with no egg. It smelled absolutely vile. Thoughts?

@MysteryChicken
Looks like a Lash Egg.

I've never heard of that. Seems like antibiotics are the right course of action then.
Screenshot_20210820-111049_Chrome.jpg

I'm really hoping she starts to become more interested in food again soon. She accepted two cherry tomatoes from me earlier today and a few bites of lettuce. Other food she will take, chew a bit, and then spit out. I wonder if she is feeling "full" because of any inflammation in her crop/gizzard? Hoping the antibiotics kick in soon and she doesn't hate me too much for forcing them. I really don't want to tube feed her if we can avoid it.

Morning! My girl is much more active today than she has been. NOT happy with me squirting the antibiotics into her mouth but I decided that is definitely the best way instead of trying to "trick" her into eating them with food she likes. She was mad at me after and wouldn't accept the apology treats from me, but did eat them later. Saw her poo this morning -- it is liquid but a good amount. Not seeing her eat the regular feed yet but hopefully she will soon.

@MysteryChicken @buffy-the-eggpile-layer get a chance to see the crazy egg monstrosity that she passed? I am guessing she feels better with that out of her.
Yayy! I'm sure that thing is better out than in--and yes, seems like lash egg. Hopefully the antibiotics and metacam do the trick. I know I'm a broken record but I would 100% add colloidal silver to her regimen. My chicken was on an antibiotic and antinflammatory for 2 weeks without regaining an appetite. When I tried the colloidal silver she gained her appetite back within a day. I'm not saying it's a miracle cure, but it's worth a shot.

Some other things that helped my girl when her appetite was little to nonexistent: plain greek yogurt, soft boiled or scrambled eggs mashed up, mashed up berries, watermelon, small amounts of canned tuna in water, and watery mash (feed + water blended up--even my sickest hens go for, and it seems to be a comfort food for ky flock in general). The latter is a great vessel for meds if she's eating, otherwise small pieces of bread have helped me deliver meds in a pinch.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Yayy! I'm sure that thing is better out than in--and yes, seems like lash egg. Hopefully the antibiotics and metacam do the trick. I know I'm a broken record but I would 100% add colloidal silver to her regimen. My chicken was on an antibiotic and antinflammatory for 2 weeks without regaining an appetite. When I tried the colloidal silver she gained her appetite back within a day. I'm not saying it's a miracle cure, but it's worth a shot.

Some other things that helped my girl when her appetite was little to nonexistent: plain greek yogurt, soft boiled or scrambled eggs mashed up, mashed up berries, watermelon, small amounts of canned tuna in water, and watery mash (feed + water blended up--even my sickest hens go for, and it seems to be a comfort food for ky flock in general). The latter is a great vessel for meds if she's eating, otherwise small pieces of bread have helped me deliver meds in a pinch.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Thank you! I will definitely consider the colloidal silver.

I am having to syringe small amounts onto her tongue to get her to do the meds -- I am so worried about her potentially aspirating. The syringes I have are pretty small so when I attempted to get visibility on her glottis it seemed so far down! So the small bits at a time is what is working hopefully to get them in her. She is such a small bird that it is only 1cc of antibiotic.

Thank you! I will definitely consider the colloidal silver.

I am having to syringe small amounts onto her tongue to get her to do the meds -- I am so worried about her potentially aspirating. The syringes I have are pretty small so when I attempted to get visibility on her glottis it seemed so far down! So the small bits at a time is what is working hopefully to get them in her. She is such a small bird that it is only 1cc of antibiotic.
When we went through this we had to inject antibiotics, which ended up being easier for the same reasons (lack of appetite). We force fed her watery mash little tiny spoonfuls at a time (would place in beak and then force close beak until she clearly swallowed). This was less traumatizing than tube or syringe feeding because I had the same fears as you. We also force fed small bits of cold coconut oil to help grease the crop/gizzard skids and because the vet said it's a great way to get in calories. I think that's what kept her alive until she gained her appetite. Poor thing was a skeleton and I was so close to having her euthanized when I tried the colloidal as a hail Mary.

Back
Top Bottom